[C53]Scarlet Tragedy

Malakai's POV:

"That leg of yours is looking better already," Romona, my step-mom told me as she examined it. "It's a good thing I wrote the book on herbs," she teased me and looked over her shoulder at my sister, Nena. "He's going to be okay," she assured my sister. Nena gave a huge sigh of relief. She's been squeezing a clip board the moment she entered the room.

"Nena," I chuckled out. "I'm fine," I promised her. "Why don't you go get an espresso? You look tired." I could see the bags forming under her eyes. She's been up for a couple of days no doubt. I wasn't her twin- but I could sense she was loosing sleep. Mom tightened her back up and looked towards Nena. Her hands busy wrapping my leg up. Looks like I will suffer just a little longer in bandages.

"Nena, go home and get some rest," mom sudden commanded. "Look at how tired you look. By the time you wake up your father and the rest of the pack will be home. You don't want to pass out right as they return, do you?" Mom looked worried but I had a feeling it wasn't only worry for her daughter. There was so much happening to this pack and family.

"Mom," I whispered and took her hand. "Thank you for looking after me but I think I want to rest as well," I told them.

"Of course," she said and took my hand before giving it a kiss on the top. "Let me know if you need anything," she warned. I waited until she was out of the room and relaxed. I let out a small yawn.

I haven't slept since the journey home. It was about to be breakfast time and as much as food sounded delicious, I really wanted a nap. Vivienne should be here... as soon as she wraps up things in Blacktail. I just hope things went okay.

I reached the boarders of Scarlet Nightwalkers and pretty much everything from then to now was a blur. Mother had to work hard on my leg to get the wolfsbane out without touching anything in the process. I had been on an operating table at first. Wolfsbane was preventing my leg from healing properly. Now that she's put the herbs on the wound and taken care of the wolfsbane... I should wake up brand new.

I shut my eyes. My body sunk into the comfort of the bed.

But, I wasn't able to fall asleep.

Fang's last appearance lingered on my mind.

If I had stayed with him... would things have turned out okay?

Is Fang okay?

Of course he is...

He's going to come back with Vivienne.

But I could still hear Fang's voice calling to me. Telling me to run... I left him to fight alone. Was that rogue stronger then him in the end? He towered over me the way the others did.

I hate being a wolf.

I'm not strong enough for my pack.

Not to mention....

My soul mate just so happens to be Eder, the enemy!

I can't believe he just submitted to Lamia's poison. He didn't toss it into a plant. He just drunk it! What if he never wakes up? None of us will know how to cure him.

The wolves will win.

Good guys always win.

And, we're the good guys.

"Mal," I heard a whisper come out of nowhere. I shot up in bed and opened my eyes to look around. I found the window open and Marquis' scent hit my nostrils.

"Mars?" I asked in confusion. He looked younger now... and not a cat. Marquis had the same eyes as I once met him. But, he looked the same age as me. His skin was fresh and smooth. A young looking youth pulled his face into a tight lift. He was a master of disguise, that's for sure.