Chapter 23

1985

EDDIE'S POV

A loud knock on the door made me snap out of my trance. I jumped up to get the door, almost falling over the mess on the floor twice.

I opened the door, meeting Sam's eyes. I looked at her confused. "What's wrong?" I asked, noticing her distress.

She just shook her head. "Can I come in?" She asked.

I nodded and moved out of the doorway. "Of course Sweetheart. But what's wrong?" I asked, following her inside.

I closed the door and looked at her confused, she was running her hands through her hair, something she did when she was upset.

Sam turned to face me, hands still running through her hair. "I fucking hate my mother." She said, the calm tone in extreme contrast with her hatred filled face and words.

I moved closer to her and put my hand on the small of her back, leading her to the couch.

I attempted to sit her down, but she shook my hand off and walked away from me. I sat down on the couch in defeat. "What happened Love?" I asked, repeating my unanswered question from earlier.

Sam shook her head, pacing the room and tugging at her hair. "I honestly can't believe her." She said, still shaking her head.

I looked at her puzzled and stood up, walking towards her. "Baby what are you talking about?" I asked, putting my hands on her shoulders before moving them to her head to make her stop pulling her hair.

She flinched slightly and pulled away from me, walking to the couch and letting herself fall on it.

Sam rested her head in her hands. "Fuck..." She whispered.

I moved to crouch in front of her and moved her hands to cup her face. "Baby... Please tell me what's wrong..." I said, studying her face.

My eyes fell upon a few cuts and bruises on her face, and a rather large bruise on her neck.

My concern filled eyes found her tired and hurt ones again. "Sweetheart..." I whispered.

Sam sniffled, before forcing a smile. "Stop it, you're making me cry." She said, wiping her tears.

I felt my heart ache at her hurt tone, but yet I felt warm on the inside at the thought of her trusting me enough to come to me in such a vulnerable state.

I smiled back, forcing some tears away. "Please tell me what's wrong My love." I said, looking at her with pleading eyes.

She sighed. "You know my step-father is abusive right? Well I was visiting Max and I went to say hello to Billy and then I saw my step-father beating him up. You know me, I have anger issues and I don't think before doing anything, so I hit him. Lets just say he did not take that well." She said, a humorless chuckle following her words.

I looked at her with pity in my eyes. "Baby..." I said, standing up and pulling her with me, hugging her tight.

Sam placed her head on my chest. "He pinned me against the wall by my neck and punched me a few times, only stopped when Max started screaming and threatening to call the police." She said.