Chapter 34

Eddie's pov
Sam and I stared right at each other in awkward silence, mirroring each other's angry and hurt expression.

Sam was the first to break the silence. "Hello Eddie." She said stiffly.

I showed a tightlipped smile in response. "Hi." I responded, the words straining against the lump in my throat.

Seeing her brought back all the emotions I felt when I first saw her and that son of a bitch Percy. God, that had to be the worst day of my life.

A shuffle of Sam's feet brought me back to the present, and my eyes focused on her face again. She seemed to be having some kind of internal battle with herself.

I quirked my brow slightly, wondering what was going on in her head.

Suddenly, Sam cleared her throat. "Uhm, I should get going. Yeah... Bye." She said, turning around and leaving, before i could even say bye back.

Sam's pov

I walked away from Eddie, my face threatening to go beet red. Holy fuck, why the hell was that so awkward. I shuddered at my own actions, walking out of the cafeteria.

I made my way through the hallways, desperately in the need of some fresh air. I pushed through the mass of people, earning quite a few angry glances.

Once I finally reached the big doors of the main entrance, I breathed a sigh of relief. The cool breeze in my hair calmed me, and I inhaled it gratefully.

I leaned my back against the side of the building, my hair sticking to the brick wall. I fumbled my lighter out of my pocket, along with a pack of cigarettes.

I lit one of the cigarettes and tucked the lighter and pack back into my pocket. I closed my eyes, taking comfort in the scent of smoke filling my nose as I exhaled.

I stood there like that for a while, just smoking in peace, alone with the wind and the sun warming my face.

I heard the doors to the building open, and I opened my eyes, pushing my body away from the wall.

I sighed as I saw who emerged through the doors. "Hi Steve." I said, finally speaking to him.

He turned to me, his so called 'perfect' hair messy from the breeze teasing the strands. "Where have you been?? I've been worried sick, quit being so stubborn and stop avoiding me and Robin!" He berated, a deep frown etched in his forehead.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever Harrington. And wipe that frown off your face, or you'll look 40 in 10 years." I said, chuckling as I watched the agitated worry on Steve's face transition to a slightly disappointed glare.

I grinned at him. "Cmon Stevie boy, lose the stick up your ass. I'm fine." I said with a shrug, putting the cigarette I have in my hand out.

Steve looked at my sternly, a hint of worry still in his expression. "Fine, whatever. Just give me a call if you need me." He said, his eyes kind.

I felt warm on the inside as I realized how lucky I i really was with my friends. "Thank you." I said sincerely, the ghost of a smile on my features.