Thirty five

Bailey

I stand from my spot beside Caleb after he'd fully closed his eyes.

Turning around to go to the bed he'd drunkenly proclaimed I was to sleep in, I just about jump out of my damn skin to see Nick, his insanely charming teammate, standing there watching me.

"You just about scared the shit out of me," I walk towards him, my voice a whisper as to not wake Caleb. Though I don't think much would right now, he was out.

Ferguson simply grins not saying anything though as he follows me through the open room to the kitchen.

"Can you grab me a water?" The fridge was fully stocked. How much did Caleb spend on this place for the night?

It was rude to ask, and all he said was he'd wanted us to be comfortable. This was more than comfortable, this was amazing.

Tossing him the bottle, I grab one myself before fully turning to face him, sitting across the counter just observing my movements. A soft smile playing on his lips.

"What?" I question, my face growing hot at his silent demeanor.

"You care about him," He states after a beat of silence.

"Of course I do," I tell him honestly. There has never been a time in my life where I didn't care about him.

"Thank you,"

"I just got him water and some medicine it's really no big deal," I shrug hopping up onto the counter behind me

"No not for that," he smile shaking his head, "For making him smile again, it's been way too fucking long since I've seen him like he was tonight,"

"Really?"

"He's just been struggling a lot lately," he shrugs, "A bit defeated and broken down it seems, it was nice to see him like he was,"

I get what he was saying. I caught glimpses of it since we've been back, tonight though, even before the drinking, any semblance of that in him was gone. He smiled and laughed and danced with everyone.

It was beautiful. And he hated being called beautiful when we were younger but he was. Utterly and completely beautiful.

I just nod, not knowing what to say. Thankfully he continues, not allowing for an awkward moment.

"I like you a lot more than I thought I would," he states, a grin dancing on his face.

"I'm glad?"

"You should be, I'm a joy to have around if I like you,"

"And if you don't?"

"Oh then I'm a complete dick," The grin doesn't falter, letting me know I'm safe from his dickhead ways. Though I honestly wouldn't worry if I wasn't, I've dealt with worse.

"I wouldn't expect you to like me,"

"What? For hurting my best friend like you did?"

"Yeah,"

"Well those were extreme circumstances, grief is a strong motherfucker that can ruin lives, I of all people understand that. You were doing what you thought was best. As long as he's happy with you, you treat him well I have no problems." It was cute how protective he was over his friend, I'm happy Caleb had someone like him.

Growing up he was the protector, the leader that always looked out for everyone else, yet few thought to look out for him.

"You're a good friend to him,"

"There's no one else back in Illinois that takes care of him, someone's gotta look out for him from time to time," He shrugs, "Besides that, you seem like you're trying. I'm not going to hold it against you." I don't trust my words so I just nod, not feeling like I deserve his kindness.