Forty-Two

Caleb

I was shaking as I got us back into her brothers truck and started driving. I don't think I've moved so fast hearing Liv say what road they'd been on.

Beck knew immediately, tossing his keys too me as I was out the door. Not asking questions I just moved.

Before they left I told her, begged her not to drive this road knowing it was the fastest way to the main part of town. I know she didn't know, I know she didn't think it was a big deal but she still blatantly disregarded the one thing I pleaded with her not to do.

I can't shake the way my heart sunk in my chest seeing Belle sitting there on the side of the road. She didn't look like her and my only though was going to her, I wanted her to be okay. The accident didn't cross my mind once until she started talking to me.

Everyone at home knew already, we scrapped the food idea all deeming takeout to be fine for tonight. Belle just needed to be home right now.

I shouldn't have pulled her into my arms, but I needed to. I needed to hold her in the moment I felt my own sanity slipping, I needed her just as much as she needed me.

I helped her into the truck and she fell asleep almost instantly in the short drive. I didn't bother waking her, instead just carrying her inside not giving a shit what Liv would say. Righting her moods and outbursts weren't a priority anymore. I was done with it.

"You got her?" Beck asks quietly, Immediately coming to me as I walked through the door. I nod, not saying anything and instead carrying her straight up to her room and laying her in her bed.

"I'm so sorry Belle," I brush the hair out her face, just looking at her. I know she wouldn't respond, deeply sleeping, but I had to say it. She wouldn't have been in the position if anyone else had gone with, had driven her there.

I didn't want to leave her but knew better than to stay here. So I force myself to walk out her bedroom door and I feel any resolve I had crumble.

"Caleb?" I hear my sisters soft voice as I rest my head on her door. I don't say anything, I couldn't speak without her knowing I was falling apart but my sister knew immediately. Her and Beck both did as I hear them approach pulling me away and into their arms as I let the tears fall in the privacy of the dark hallway.

"It took everything me to keep it together," we couldn't both be wrecks and she was already going through enough I needed to be there for her, not the other way around.

"I know," Beck is sitting there, right at my side, "Thank you," His voice hitches. He more than anyone knew what she has going through, he had to watch her fall apart these last eight years and couldn't do anything.

Aryas on my other side with her head rest against my shoulder.

"Neither of you should have had to go through that," she states.

"I know," We didn't want to.

The three of us sit there right outside Baileys old room, her fast asleep inside and me wanting nothing more than going in and checking on her.

"This is a fucking mess," I am a fucking mess. Being torn in two different directions. Everything with Bailey was coming back. It has been and I've been fucking ignoring it, it's terrifying to revisit the feelings I have for the woman who hurt me like she did.

But I was never just friends with her.

"We'll get it figured out," Beck says. The level of faith he's had in us all is beyond me, he never lets us quit. "How was she?"

"She was talking, and I got her breathing normally and then she knocked out in the truck," I tell him.

"Good okay," he just nods, "She'll probably be out for the rest of the night,"