Thirty Six

Caleb

For two days, I had been able to ignore the replaying sound of her voice and that damn nickname slipping through her lips.

I have been able to ignore the lightness I'd felt every time she turned down an offer to dance, just to sit and drink with my teammates and I.

For two days I have been able to ignore the memory running through my mind, of the way she looked in that dress, and the way her perfect lips rose into a smile that lit her face up. The type of smile that made her eyes dissappear and face hurt.

Now though? Scrolling through my phone, we are everywhere. Across any and all gossip sites and accounts, pictures of us laughing, and dancing. Ones of us looking too close despite the distance I had known she fought to keep all night. She was worried about being in such a public eye, I know she was. For one, she hates when too many eyes are on her, and two, she does to a degree have a reputation to uphold with her line of work. I would understand if she didn't want to be seen with me. Aside from that, she was well aware of the rumors that could be started hence why I shut down any inkling of that idea.

Yet, staring at my screen, here she was being labeled my new fling, my mystery woman, and a fucking home wrecker.

She was none of those. She wasn't my anything, and if she was it would be a hell of a lot more than a fucking fling.

It's something my fiancée is rightfully, pissed about.

"Caleb what the fuck?"

"Babe I know I'm working on it," I'm patient with her, of course I am.

I'd be beyond pissed if posts came out insinuating she cheated on me. Even knowing she didn't, I'd hate how our relationship was being publicized as some fucked up soap opera. I wouldn't be her fault, but the situation alone would be enough to set me off.

"You need to get this shit taken down. Why would you even take her with in the first place? You knew this was a possibility," Her voice was quiet, she was doing that seething yell thing when you couldn't openly yell. She was in public most likely, otherwise she'd have no apprehension to yelling.

"Why wouldn't I invite her Liv? I cant invite the entirety of my family, including her brothers, and exclude her," there was no way in hell I'd do that. Besides, I wanted Bailey there.

"Whatever, just get this fucking fixed Caleb." And without saying another word she hangs up on me.

Great. Love you too.

That was the perfect way to wake up.

Before I can even pull a pair of sweatpants on, there's a knock on my door.

"What?" I may have snapped a little too harshly considering, the voice in the opposite side snorted.

"Good morning to you sunshine," I could practically hear the grin in her voice, "Can I come in? Or you come out?"

"Hold on," slipping a pair of sweatpants on, I throw the door open. Her eyes were wide, she looked stressed and she hadn't even closed out the Instagram tab on her phone.

Perfect.

"Can I have five minutes before we talk about the shitstorm?"

"Sure," her voice was shaky as she followed me down the stairs "Can I have coffee?"

"How about we go get some?" I should have given her some sort of further warning to my abrupt stop but I didn't and in and instant she's running into my chest. Way closer than I needed her to be.

Despite what I might want.

"Sorry," she steps out of my hands that had instinctively gone to steady her at her waist. I shouldn't have done that. "Should we be seen in public right now? Together?"