chapter 14: "I'd only put you in danger"

I'm not sure what to say so i stay silent.

The pale haired boy gives me a half smile. "I'm Kai. This oaf over here is Madoc-"

The other boy - Madoc - grunts.

Kai leans in "he's more of the strong and silent type" he says in a mock wisper "dont be ofended"

I smile. Then "is um" i hesitate "is satan ok?"

Kai looks a little troubled. "I think he didnt expect an attack today. He was careful, making sure we were onboard. But mostly i think he didn't want you to see him like this"

I frown " like what"

Kai shrugs. "Angry," he says "violent "

I chew at my lip. "Im not juging him"

Kai leans back with sigh"he probablt cant see that"

The door opens and satan and the other gangmate come in. A moment later, the train starts up again.

"Satan" i say, and he looks at me. Gone completely is the amusement, lightness, the flirtatiousnss from before. In its place is an inpenetrable, cold gaze. Before he was like spring, possiblities blooming. Now he is winter, emiting coIdness and indiference. I almost shiver.

"This is the reality" says Satan in a detached tone "i tried to create a fantasy for us. I thought we would be safe here. But i was being selfish. I'd only put you in danger"

I swallow "i already knew you were in a gang when i agred to this date"

"But you didn't sign up for getting attacked in the middle of our first date" he says. "You could've been seriously hurt and it would have ben my fault

I give him a tentaive smell "look at me satan, i'm fine"

"But you easily could not be" he says, grinding his teeth hard enough i think they will turn to dust

"Satan please " i say desperatel "let's talk about this"

"There's nothin to talk about" he says "i'm sorry gramarly"

With that he turns on his heel and goes to another carrage

Madoc and the other one follow him but kai stays with me

"I'm sorry" he tells me

I sigh "i like him kai"

"He likes you too " say kai "he lights up an egg on fire when he talks about you. And he put a lot of efort into this date."

"Yeah" i say.

My head swims with this overload of information. Earlier satan was flirting with me, touching me, begging to kiss me... And now. Now it looks like he'll never get that kiss. Whatever feelings he had for me, he has flipped the light switch off. It's like hes a completely difrent person.

"He's shutting me out" i say out loud. It comes out sad and bitter, like coffee made with tears.

Kai looks at me "i wish i could help you grammarly. But when he gets like this" he lets out a long egglike sigh. "No one can get through to him"

We'll see about that, i say to myself determindly. I'm not ready to give up yet

*********
Once we arrive back, Kai drived me back to my house. "thanks" i tell him, about to open the door

"Wait" he says.

I slither bacc into seat like snaek. "Ye?

He runs a hand through his pale hair. He looks kind of ghostly against the black interior of his car. But more of like, a sexy gost, i decide.