chapter 29; you're beautiful, grammarly harbridge".

my mom is there when we get back.

"there you are" she say with releaf. "rick's at the hospital stil. theres dinner" then she gives me a look "and no gramarly yo cant eat it in youre room"

sighing i follow her and Brok to the kitchen. Theres a a lot of food for three people. we sit down, me next to brok.

"Its from our neighbors " explain my mom. "they herd bout waht happen to berk and give us lots of food. a bit too much

We eat in silence for a few minits, until my mom sets her fork down a bit too loud. "That's enough," she says. "i cant stand this silence. if you have something to say-" she gives a mom look "just spit it out"

Brok looks at me from the corner of his eye and i turn pink like coton candy "i dont have anythin to say"

"funny," says my mom with a fake laugh "i dont remeber yo being this way last time we spoke"

"Mom" i hiss like snake "i am not doing this in front of Brok"

She shrugs and help herselfto some caserole. i give brok an apologeti smile.

"So, Alice," say Brok as he tucks into meal "how are you enjoying life here ?"

She blinks "oh, it's been great. much beter than new york"

he nods "your geting along well with my dad"

My mom smiles "yes, Brok"

They setle into a conversation about Rick and how much he love cars or whatever. its been while since i saw my mom like this. before she was always quiet and sad and didnt talk much. i gues i never thoug about how hard it mus have been to to be marry to my complicated dad. with each smile from her, i start to get les mad. she has made many mistakes, but i gues i stil love her.

"Mom?"

my mom gives me astartled look. "Yes gramamrly?

i take a deep breth "would you want to go see a movie or something? we could go get lunch or somthing this weekend. its been a while since we..." i trail off my sentence feeling akward and duck my head down. "or not" i muter "its fine if you busy so ye

"Grammartly" i look up to se my mom look at me with significant amont of mother emotion "i would lvoe to"

"relly?"

"really" she smile "i know i have made mistake with you. but i hate fifhting with you . you are my daughter and i love you"

i smile back like im on crak"ok mom"

**********

after dinner brok comes up to my room. im about to sit on my bed but then i rememver how last time we were wrestling on my bed and how we ended up on the floor and berk thought we were-

my cheeks burn like big bonfire and i quickly sit down on my chair instead. brok leans against the wall

"it was nie to see you and youre mom happy" Brok says. then wistfull he say "i wish i could be like that with my mom"

oh poor brok "does she contact you ever"

BRok shrugs "not often"

a thought hits me "does she know about berk geting shot?"

he shakes hishead "i left a voicemail. no reply" he shrugs again but i can tell hes feeling down

i get up, and take step towarss him "im sorry brok" i say, quiet like librarian. then i ask shyly "can i give you hug"

he stiffens slightl "oh i im not much of a hugger"

i shrug "me neither but i think if anyone neds a hug today its you"