chapter 52: "Guess you were into bad boys after all."

Grammarly

On Monday, I return to school. It's strange having first period without Mr Brown, and Satan isn't there either. Much to my surprise, Heather leaves me alone; I guess she does have a heart after all. Me Jasmine and Jorge eat lunch together, and it's weird without Asda. But then Noah and Madoc join us, and somehow, it feels much more natural.

On Tuesday, Mistyville Highschool holds a vigil for its two recently deceased students: Brok and Kai. Berk doesn't turn up, neither does Satan, or Kai, but the rest of Satan's Angels do. Jasmine holds my hand the whole time, and the only reason I don't cry is because my tears dried up days ago like what will happen to the Great Salt Lake.

On Wedneaday, Asda wakes up.

I don't get to see her on the day, the doctors say she's too tired. But a weight is lifted off my shoulders. Grief is still weighing me down, but the relief that Asda's managed to pull through is what gets me through the day. I don't think I could handle losing her too.

On Thursday, we have Brok's funeral. The whole family's there, all his friends, the football team, some teachers, even Satan's Angels. I try not to cry when we all sing Brok's favorite song, Livin' On a Prayer, Snoop Dogg remix. Satan doesn't speak to me, but he does hold my hand for a brief second before leaving.

On Friday, I receive a letter. 

One that changes everything.

1 year later

"Grammarly!" shouts Berk. "Are you ready?" 

"I'm coming!" I yell back. I give myself one last look in the mirror; I'm dressed in a slinky gold dress, which contrasts with my sparkling sapphire blue orbs. My dark hair has grown out in the past year, and it cascades down my back like a waterfall of hair. There's a shimmer of golden eyeshadow over my eyes, and my red lipstick is vibrant and bold.

A year ago, I would've never had the confidence to wear something like this. And if I'd seen a girl who looked like this, I would've let my jealousy make me judgemental. I would've scoffed at her makeup, calling it over the top, while secretly wishing I looked like her. 

But it's funny how much you can change in such a short amount of time.

"Grammarly!!!" shouts Berk again, and I quickly grab my bag and strappy heels, before rushing downstairs.

Berk stands at the bottom of the stairs, dressed in a suit. He gives me an impatient look. "You look great, Grams, but we're going to be late."

"I'm ready!" I say, and hobble out after him.

"Good luck kids!!" shouts out Rick while my mom takes photos with her fingers in front of the camera. "HAvE FUn be responsible EHHEHE"

Outside there's a limo, and I go inside to find Jasmine, Asda, Jorge, and Madoc waiting. Since Noah's a year older than us, tehcnicaly he's not suposed to come to our prom. We were going to sneak him in anyway, but...

"Where's Noah?" I ask curously, as I sit down.

Madoc smirks. "He's arriving with Fwoof."

"Ohhhh i see," I say, before smiling to myself. Rachel Fwoof is Noah's girlfriend, who he met about ten months ago. He was very private about her at first, but by now I've met her several times. She's smart, cool and confident, and Noah still gets flustered around her, which is both amusing and adorable to witness.