Chapter 34: Hiding Away

Though Toshinori had assured you that the drama with the interview would quickly pass and that it would be immediately forgotten after the apology aired, you spent most of the time holed up in the apartment.

You continued your training, as you were expected to, and went to the prison multiple times with Sir Nighteye, but your own personal outings were slim to none. You didn't feel comfortable going out just yet, especially when you thought about the picture that had been painted of you by Sonda. You had carefully avoided the internet so that you wouldn't have to see the public's reaction, even though Saffron assured you it was mostly positive. With nothing to do, boredom quickly consumed you. Everyone was too busy to entertain you. Toshinori had taken on an extra workload of patrols in preparation for the fight versus all for one. Your mother and Brienne had only been able to stay an extra day after the interview before they'd gone home for work, so the majority of your time was spent alone in the apartment.

For the first few days alone, you found many things to keep you entertained. Swimming, people watching from the balcony, catching up on more movies you'd missed during your time in the sea, and more swimming.

When those grew tiresome, you searched a bit more desperately for entertainment in any place you could find. You tried Sir Nighteye, Gutman, and even Akemi though they all had lives of their own to attend to.

It became very isolating, trapping yourself in a prison of you own making within the walls of the apartment. It felt like all those years you spent completely alone in the ocean, except then you had the luxury of swimming and going wherever you needed whenever you wanted. Now, social interactions with your friends were a drug you were quickly hitched on. You didn't want to go back to your old hermit ways if you didn't have to.

You longed to step foot outside once again, but you couldn't bear the idea of being alone and facing the paparazzi or crazed fans who hated you because of that first interview. Even getting in a car to go to the prison was a lengthy endeavor, which required hiding the car in a back alley and hiding yourself in glasses and a hoodie cinched up as far as it could go. Everyone had assured you that it would eventually calm down, that they media would forget about you soon enough, but the waiting was exhausting. You needed to find something to entertain you, but you had no idea what.

"You don't have to rush off so fast, Gran Torino!" You'd caught him leaving in the elevator after your training. You pressed your hand against the door of the elevator to keep it from closing. "Why don't you stay here for a while and I could make you some of that Taiyaki you like!"
"Can't. I'm supposed to have lunch with someone downtown at noon. Don't want to ruin my appetite."

"Someone? Like a date? You could bring them here! I could make you something else like daigaku to tide you over until then!"

"This early in the morning? That's too sweet. No thanks, (Y/N). Another day. I've got to go."

"But-" The elevator door began to beep impatiently at you as you held it open.

"Why don't you go take some to Toshinori at his agency? I'm sure he'd like the surprise."

"But-"

"No more butts." He swatted your hand away from the door. "I'll see you tomorrow."

You sighed in defeat and stepped away from the elevator door.

"Fine... See you tomorrow. Have fun on your date..."

You frowned in defeat and slumped down into the barstool at the kitchen island.

You'd have to find something to do, otherwise you were bound to go insane. You could start with a quick shower, which you were obviously in need of after training, but that could only take so long. What else was there?