Chapter 29: Good Bye for Now

You woke up the next morning tangled in the limbs of Saffron and Brienne, both who'd decided that snuggled up next to you was the best place to sleep on Brienne's king sized bed. The heat was unbearable, but you couldn't think of any way to extricate yourself without causing your two friends to wake up. It seemed like you were stuck in the tangled mess of limbs at least a little while longer.

Toshinori had dropped you back off not long after you'd left that night, using his speed and ability to jump to carry you back to your moms house.

He'd avoided your question, stating that now wasn't the time, and he'd tell you when you returned home. This answer left you less than satisfied, but more than anything you felt guilty for making him uncomfortable.

He went back to the hotel alone once he'd dropped you off, stating that none of the beds or couches there would be comfortable enough for him to sleep on because of his size.

You didn't push him, simply giving him a small kiss before he left that night. The rest of your time with your friends and mom stretched well into the first hours of morning before you passed out.

Saffron fit in so well with your trio it was like she'd been there since the beginning. She was a new audience for Brienne and your mom as you reminisced over old stories and memories. She laughed along with you, fitting herself in perfectly to the group you'd recreated.

As you thought about the night before, Saffron groaned and rolled away just enough to allow you an exit. You got up as quietly as you could, slipping off the bed and padding your way down to the kitchen.

Your mother was in there, still in her pajamas as she chopped up some chives and peppers. Eggs were whisked in a bowl nearby, and you could see steam escaping from the rice cooker.

"Omurice?" You asked hopefully.

"Just like you like it," She looked over her shoulder and smiled. You smiled back at her as she continued her work. You came up behind her and placed your chin on her shoulder, just like you had when you were younger.

"I've missed your omurice," You muttered, thinking about how she'd always made it as a special morning treat.

"I think you've gotten taller," She mentioned, leaning her head on yours as she gently stirred the eggs.

"Maybe it's all the protein powder I've been drinking." You joked.
"You drink the powder?" She laughed.

"No! I mix it obviously." You slapped her arm.

"I find that hard to believe. I seem to recall a girl who wouldn't drink the vitamins I mixed into her juice no matter how much I bribed her."

"Ma," you groaned and leaned dramatically against the counter. "I was like five then. Things are different now."

"Oh really? Are you all grown up?"

"I guess so, yeah."

"Well then it's your turn to make breakfast," She grinned as she handed you the spatula.

"What? No! You know I never fold it right!" You complained.

"Practice makes perfect!" She mentioned, swatting your butt with her rice paddle before she stirred the rice.

"Mooooom," You groaned, frantically trying to shove the spatula into her hand, "I was in the ocean for however many years just dreaming about my mom's cooking. This isn't fair!"

"What isn't fair is wondering whether or not your child is alive for years." She raised her eyebrows at you and swatted you again. Her tone was more sarcastic than venomous, but that didn't stop the jab of pain that went straight to your heart.