Chapter 38: The final confrontation

TW: Graphic depictions of violence and body deterioration

You woke the next morning cold and alone. A chilly breeze ghosted in from an open window, waking you up with a shiver. You looked to the empty space on the bed where your lover had been sleeping that night. The spot where he had once been felt cold under your palm.

How long had he been gone?

Goosebumps raised across your skin, forcing you to pull the blankets up closer over your naked form. The cloudy sky outside was just beginning to brighten with the light of sunrise. Grey light streamed in through the large windows, and you wondered just how much sleep Toshinori had gotten that night. You yourself still felt immensely tired, since you'd fallen asleep only two or three hours before. You could only imagine how exhausted he felt after a day of patrols on top of the other events.
Determined to find him and pull him back to bed for a few more precious hours of sleep, you wrapped the bed sheet around your frame and trudged out of bed. You padded down the hallway to the living room, the hardwood floor cold against your feet.

You found him sitting on the couch, fully dressed in his hero garb. He stared out the window, deep in thought.

"Toshi?" You mumbled groggily, wiping the sleep from your eyes. "Toshi, what are you doin' up so early?"

He turned, startled by your sudden appearance. The stress in his face was obvious, he didn't even attempt smiling.

"Couldn't sleep?" You walked over to the couch, sheet swishing on the floor behind you.

"No, too much on my mind," He opened his arms for you, allowing you to slip into them and lay your head on his chest. You searched for the words to comfort him, wishing you could put his mind at ease. He wrapped his arms tightly around you, pulling the blanket closer against your chilled skin. You sat there in silence for a few minutes, soaking up the comfort each other had to offer. His shoulders were so tense, teeth practically grinding against each other, his brow furrowed.

"Toshinori... I just want to tell you... I won't let you down. I will help you defeat All for One. I promise. So... don't stress," You added weakly, giving him a thumbs up.

"(Y/N)... I know. And I promise I won't let you down either. I just... I've already lost my master to All for One. I can't afford to lose you too... if you got so much as hurt I couldn't live with myself."

"You've taught me so much in the past few months. I know we can do this. We have to. Have more faith in yourself as my teacher."

"I know. I'm sorry. I just- what if I die? The world will lose its symbol of peace and All For One will be able to do as he pleases freely. I'm more than willing to give my life, but I want to make it worth it. I have to defeat All For One, there is no one else who can."

"Don't you dare even say something like that," you snapped. "You won't die. You're much stronger than him."

"He killed my master, (Y/N). She gave up her life for me and couldn't defeat him. What if I can't do it either? What if I fail her and her sacrifice was wasted?"

"You can and you will, Toshi. Nana will be so proud of you, her sacrifice won't be in vain. You'll defeat him and then this time tomorrow we'll start a new life. You- you promised me a vacation, remember? Don't go back on your promise." You tried to lighten his mood. He gave you a small smile, more for your sake than for his.
"I did promise that, didn't I?" He nuzzled into your neck to hide his face, his fear from you.

You wrapped your arms around him and held him close, as if you could keep the two of you from falling apart. You did the only thing you could think of to comfort him and kissed him again and again, up his arms, on his cheek and his neck. Tears began to dribble down your cheeks, though you'd done your best to keep them from falling.
"Promise me, Toshi." You pleaded to him, "Promise me we'll win. That you'll win. You'll defeat All for One and we will go visit the Yakushima cedars."