Chapter 28: Brienne

"You're alive? And you're dating All Might?!"

Brienne's eyes were wild as she surveyed the scene, dropping the grocery bags she held onto the floor with a loud crash. Her head whipped from you, to All Might, to Saffron, to your mom, and then back to you.

"Bri- I-" You started, unsure of how to deal with this. You hadn't expected her to be here, nor to have such a loud reaction to you.

Her expression was unreadable, a mixture of confused, angry, accusatory, and hurt. She straightened up her stance and brushed her hair behind her shoulders, unintentionally exposing the light crescent moon scar on her neck.

Your stomach sank.

"Take a deep breath, Bri." Your mother stood up to calm her down, "If you sit down (Y/N) can explain everything."

"What is there to explain?" Her tan face scrunched up as tears stung her eyes. "She abandoned us for years!"

"I didn't want to!" You defended yourself, standing up to take a place next to your mother. Saffron and Toshinori stayed awkwardly planted on the couch. "Just- after what I did I knew you wouldn't want to see me anymore."
"Wouldn't want to see you anymore? Are you crazy? We spent so much time looking for you! We were worried sick! I thought you were dead! I mourned you!" Brienne spat, tears streaming down her face to match your own .

"I'm sorry! I can't say any more than that! I missed you guys so much but- I didn't want to hurt you any more than I already did!"

"I don't care that you bit me! I didn't care about any of that! I was worried that my best friend- my sister was missing!" She screamed, pointing an accusatory finger at you.

"And I ruined your chances at being a hero! I couldn't ever face you after that! I didn't mean to but- but I still ruined your dreams!" You sobbed, gripping your arms and hugging yourself.

"Ruined my- what are you talking about?" She looked at you confused for a moment. "I didn't want to be a hero if I couldn't be a hero with you, dumbass!"

"Wha- but your quirk. You can't be a hero without a quirk!"

"What do you mean 'my quirk'?" She looked more and more flabbergasted by the second, confusion replacing the pain and anger.

"I- I stole your quirk!" You gestured at her, pointing to the scar on her neck.

"Wha-? No you didn't! Yeah, it was gone for like a year but when it came back it was like it had never left!" She explained.

Your face blanched.

Your stomach sank.

You felt Toshinori and Saffrons eyes on you all at once.

You thought you were gonna puke.

"No... No no no no no..." You mumbled, taking a step back to clutch your head.

You needed to get out of there, away from their prying eyes. You needed air. You needed to breathe. You couldn't breathe.

"(Y/N) I-" Brienne began, reaching out to you.

You turned away, rushing for the front door. You burst outside and closed it behind you, collapsing onto the steps.

You sat on the concrete stairs, trying your best to breathe. To think. You buried your face in your hands and groaned.

You sat out there for a while, trying to wrap your head around the news that no, your quirk didn't completely steal peoples quirks and no, it wouldn't be any help against All for One.