Chapter 23: Pizza Time

"I'M SO SO SORRY!" Saffron wailed, throwing herself onto the counter and sobbing, in her normal over dramatic fashion. "If I would've known I wouldn't have interrupted!"

This was the third time you'd discussed this in the past few minutes. After you'd told her about your attempted confession she began tearing up, incredibly upset that she'd ruined what was supposed to be a romantic moment. She'd come that morning to be your substitute teacher for training, as Gran Torino was unwilling to come and Toshinori had some sort of raid to go on with a group of other heroes. It was top secret, of course. He couldn't give you too many details.

The air between you and Toshinori had been awkward at best, both unsure of whether or not you should continue on your earlier conversation. Toshinori was dying to know what it was you needed to tell him, if his hopes were true, but you elected to rethink your decision and put more planning and thought into it. You wanted to make sure you were making the right choice.

Saffron was by no means as great a teacher as Toshinori, and she was the exact opposite of Gran Torino in terms of strictness, but you still felt that satisfying burn at the end of your workout. You mostly did fitness training and she checked your stats, then you headed to the kitchen to gossip and have a quickly prepared 'brunch'. Brunch quickly devolved into her discussing your runaway attempt the previous day, and eventually you spilled the beans about your love confession.

"It's fine, Saff. Maybe it's for the better. He was probably going to reject me anyways. You saved me some embarrassment." You sighed, patting her back. She sniffled into her half eaten omelet and wiped her eyes, sitting up enough to face you.

"He wouldn't reject you! Are you kidding? Have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"No, but I've seen the way he and Audioma look at each other. I'm not here to be a homewrecker, I just wanted to get it off of my chest so I could move on with my life. I didn't really expect anything to come from it."

"Okay, I really don't think they're together. She is definitely not his type. She's too self centered. How could the symbol of peace be with someone who only cares about their popularity?"

"They were certainly being pretty clingy on each other the other night," You countered, thinking of the way she had been draped all over him during your performance.

"I think that's just how she is. She might like Toshinori, but I can't say I think he likes her." She shoveled another bite of her vegetable omelette into her mouth.

"That doesn't necessarily mean he likes me either, though." You argued again, finishing off the last bite of your food and getting up to shove it into the dishwasher. Saffron could try and convince you that he liked you as much as she wanted, but you weren't convinced.

"Oh come on, (y/n). So you're seriously telling me you don't think he likes you? And you were just gonna confess your feelings while believing 100% that he wouldn't reciprocate them? Admit it. The smallest part of you thinks he might like you. I've seen the way he looks at you like the sun shines out of your ass. The way he came to your 'rescue' when you were blasted the other night. How worried he is literally all the time whenever you so much as sneeze. Plus, I've seen how much attention he pays to you when you're in leggings."

"Do you have to be so crude?" You chuckled, trying to hide the blush that dusted your cheeks. She'd hit the nail on the head with her accusations. You had this growing feeling deep in your gut telling you that Toshinori would return your confession. You tried to push the feeling down, to destroy it before you got your hopes up, but you felt that feeling grow with every tiny interaction you had with him. Maybe it was wishful thinking, or maybe there was some truth to it, but regardless you had decided at this point that the risk of confessing to him was too high with such a small chance that he'd return your feelings.