Chapter 14: Coffee Shop

"You're... You're joking..." You gasped, staring at Toshinori with shock.

"Nope, one hundred percent serious."

"...Why?"

Toshinori sighed and leaned back in his cafe chair. It groaned under his weight. "I always take somebody and this year I want to take you!"

You leaned forward and buried your face in your hands. One the one hand, you were elated that he wanted to take you, but on the other hand: A Fundraiser Gala? That's the last place you'd wanna go, especially since according to Toshinori it was an important, and very public event.

"Is that why you took me out to the ocean? Bought the suit? Took me here for coffee? Are you trying to butter me up?" You couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it. You, at a fancy fundraiser. Yeah, right.

"No, but I figured it would help..." He smirked, "It will be fun! I promise! There'll be dancing, beautiful decorations, more fancy cakes than you've seen in your life..."

"Hm... I do love cake..." Damn it. He knew sweets were your weakness. "Do I have to wear a fancy dress?"

"You could wear a suit, if you wanted instead," He pointed out, taking a sip of his large drink. You'd laughed when he ordered it, making sure that the barista gave him extra whipped cream. It seemed like something a girl from America would do. You'd decided to order the same, in a much smaller size, plus a tarte for each of you.

You munched on the pastry as you thought of a response. "No, a dress is fine. When is the gala?"

"In two months. Actually, only a day before... you know..." He trailed off, shooting you a knowing glance.

"Doesn't it seem kind of dangerous to do something that big the night before something else super big?"

"It'll lower suspicious," He answered simply, popping the last bite of his food into his mouth.

"I guess that is true. But why don't you take Saffron? She's more suited to that public eye kind of thing."

"Because I want to spend time with you," He admitted, making you blush. "I think we'd have fun. Those types of parties are always boring. I want to take someone I can have fun with."

You chewed on the end of your green straw. "Do I have to talk to a bunch of people?"

"No, I'll do all the talking."

You sighed, thinking his offer over for a minute. "Alright, fine. I'll go. But you better not be lying about the cake."

He smiled and laughed with delight. "If there isn't any cake there, I will personally make you as many as I can fit into the kitchen."

"Alright, if you're ready to accept that commitment. I guess I should find something to wear."

"I'll have Saffron take you out in a couple days. You can have girl time... or whatever..."

You laughed at the term. "Sure. Sounds good. I'll shoot her a text. What about you, Mr. Guest of Honor? Should we coordinate colors?"

"Sure. Pick out a dress and I will get colors to match." He seemed excited at the idea, "Unless you don't want to match, of course." He backtracked.

"No! I do!" You said much too eagerly. You saw him smile at that, and you looked away and shoved another bite of food in your mouth to hide your embarrassment. He told you about the party, who was hosting it, what it was like, etc. but you were only half listening. At this point anxiety was starting to creep into your body at the thought of such a public event. This was a terrible idea.