Chapter 31: Nana

You were alone when you woke the next morning, but you weren't concerned as to where Toshi was. You could hear him humming from the kitchen, his deep voice trying to imitate the tune you'd sung him last night. The smell of warm food blew in from the kitchen and made it much harder to stay in his enormous and comfy bed, as much as you wanted to.

You allowed yourself a long stretch and a loud yawn as you crawled out of the bed, your arms stiff from holding Toshinori for most of the night.

You were still in your clothes from the day before as you padded down the hall to see what Toshinori was cooking. Surprisingly, a wide smile was on his face as you walked into the kitchen. He was making what looked like a pancake, but was turning out to look a lot more like scrambled eggs.

"I forgot to grease the pan," he explained with a chuckle as you came up behind him and wrapped yours arms around his waist.

"The first one is always the worst." You consoled him. "How did you sleep?"

"Wonderfully!" He smiled brightly at you. It was jarring and in complete contrast to what he had felt not twelve hours ago, but you didn't question him. It seemed genuine and you were fairly good at telling whether his smiles were or not.

"I'm glad. I feel like I had a bolder laying on top of me or something." You chuckled.

"I have no idea what that could have been. I didn't see any boulders on you from where I was sleeping." He teased. "Here, have a pancake."

He handed you a plate of small pancakes that actually looked like pancakes and you smiled at him, taking your seat across from him.

"I'm glad to see you feeling better, Toshi." You beamed.

"I'm sorry you had to see that last night, but thank you for helping me. I don't know what I would've done without you."

"I'm glad I could be there for you. I'm sorry I couldn't do more."

"You did more than enough, my love." He smiled as he took the stool next to you. It groaned in protest under his weight. "I actually had a very pleasant dream of you last night."

"Really? Am I allowed to know what it was about?"

"Of course. It was you and me. We were on a picnic at the beach. Nana and Gran Torino were there. It was very nice."

"That sounds really nice. Do you dream about her a lot?"

"Of course. She was like my mother. Have I ever told you how much you remind me of her?"

"You might have," you responded between bites of pancake.

"She would've loved you." He smiled wistfully.

"Tell me about her," you requested.

"She was... hmm... where do I even start? I met her when I was only young, not even in highschool yet. I was quirkless, but she still listened to me when I told her I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be a pillar society could depend on, you know that part, though. I don't know why, but she chose me to be her successor. She chose me, someone who was just a kid with no experience or training at all." He chuckled as he remembered it.

"She was always so optimistic. She could always make someone smile, even though she had the most terrible jokes. They were awful."

"As bad as yours?"

"I have wonderful jokes," he replied with faux indgnance. "They always make you smile!"

"They're total dad jokes, Toshi. I smile because I love how excited you are to tell them."