Chapter 10: Cake

You were pleasantly surprised to see Toshinori was at home by the time you'd gotten back from Tartarus. You'd been there an incredibly long time, working with the small support staff on hand that was designing your suit. You'd decided on colors, functions, and different features that were necessary in order for you to not need to be completely exposed while you were in the water. It was exciting, but it was also incredibly awkward for you.

You'd unintentionally dozed off a few times during the ride with Tsukauchi, who spent most of the ride on the phone reporting what you'd done to his superiors. When you'd made it back to Might Towers, Tsukauchi invited himself up so he could see if Toshi was back. You hoped he was, you'd love to share some cake with him and Tsukauchi. Maybe you could even send some to Gutman, if that wasn't weird.

When you stepped off the elevator, the two of you were surprised to see Toshinori, standing in his normal clothes, looking over the cake display with curiosity and anticipation. He looks up as the elevator dings, backing away from the cake and blushing.

"Welcome back!" He regained his composure. "How did your visit to Tartarus go."

"It was okay... kinda scary but... Y'know..." You perched yourself up on one of the stools against the counter.

"I'm glad you made it back safe. I had total faith that you'd be able to do it!"

"Whatever you say. I wasn't as scared of the prison as I am of combat training."

Toshi's eyes quickly darted to the cake and then back to you again, he was obviously having a hard time paying attention. "There's nothing to worry about, (y/n). Tartarus has the most highly trained guards in the world. They'd never let anyone hurt you. And I plan on coming with you next week, so I'll be there to protect you as well."

"I'll be going next week? And you're going?" You hadn't realized that it'd be so soon. I guess it made sense, everything around or involved with him seemed to move at lightning speed.

"I want to see you in action," He grinned, eyes darting towards the cake again. "Plus, I need to look over the hero suit with the support team."

"Oh, gotcha. Are  they making you a suit too?"

"No, only my friend David makes my suits. I should go see him soon... He's on that new I-Island."

"Isn't that for the world's best scientists?" You asked, only vaguely familiar.

"That it is. He and his daughter live there together. She should be about 8 now..." He recollected. "Anyways, what's this cake doing here? Did they make this downstairs?" You knew he wouldn't be able to resist it, he was practically drooling and unable to focus.

"No! I made it!" You grinned, trotting up to the counter and removing the lid. The fresh scent of cake hit you all again, and you could hear Toshinori's stomach growl.

"Do you want some?" You asked the two of them, praying to god they'd say yes. You didn't think you could resist the temptation much more.

"It looks delicious. Of course all have some. Will you stay for some, Tsukauchi?"

"Sure, I don't see why not. Gran Torino and Sir Night Eye will be here soon anyways, no point in leaving."

"Good point. Come sit down," Toshi sat at one of the bar stools. The cushion dagger under his weight, but the tall chair didn't so much as wiggle or buckle. Tsukauchi sat next to him, slinging off his jacket and draping it over the back of his chair.

"My mom used to make me these together all the time. We both have terrible sweet tooth's." You said as you dug a few plates and forks.

"During my time in college I developed one myself. Everything in America is much sweeter than it is here. Except the chocolate. Our chocolate here is much better."

"I never pinned you as much of a sweets kind of guy, Mr. Protein Powder." You snickered.

"Are you kidding?" The detective gasped, "This man is a chocolate fiend. You haven't shown her your drawer, have you?"

Toshi looked away embarrassed.

"Drawer? What drawer?" You asked. If there was chocolate involved, you were interested.

Toshinori sighed, defeated, "Check the drawer on your left,".

To your shock and amazement, the entire drawer was filled with full sized candy bars, all of different sizes and flavors. There were peanut butter chocolate bars, candy coated chocolate, packets for hot chocolate, and a tub of chocolate frosting.

"Toshi...." You looked up at him seriously, "Are you an addict?" You bust out into a fit of giggles. Tsukauchi snickered next to him. Toshinori groaned and threw his head back,  slapping his hands over his eyes.

"You're going to make me look like a middle aged woman!" He complained.

Tsukauchi laughed and used a fake All Might Voice " 'The doctor said I could have a bit of chocolate every day! He never said how much was a 'little bit'!"

"We're here for you, Toshi," You said seriously, before you started cracking up, "Addiction is a disease but you're not alone!"

"I just won't share with you then!" Toshinori sighed, nudging his friends shoulder.

"I'm just teasing," You smiled. "I'm a chocolate addict too. I'll help you keep this stash from growing out of control. I'll do some quality control."

"Help yourself."

"Let's get back to this cake," You smiled. As you pulled out a cake knife out of the drawer, you heard the elevator ping, signaling the arrival of two other people.

"What's that smell?" Nighteye asked, uninterestedly. His eyes darted from you, to the cake, to Toshinori, who didn't take his eyes off of the cake.

"Cake," You answered simply, looking at the smaller man behind him. "Do you want some?"

"Aren't we supposed to be working?" He asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Cake first," Toshi stated, "We'll need sugar in order to keep energized."

"Doesn't seem very healthy to me!" Gran Torino grumbled.

"There's fruit in there somewhere..." You countered, cutting out a large slice and plating it. You handed it to Toshi, who eagerly accepted it.

He waited patiently for you to dish out plates for everyone else, including the two newest people to join, who sat awkwardly at the barstools. Gran Torino took his begrudgingly, taking a bite without waiting for anyone else. Toshinori took that as his cue to dig in, and soon the room was filled with the sounds of silverware clinking against plates. You heard Tsukauchi and Toshi groan, complimenting you on how good this tasted. Even Gran Torino seemed to be loving it, a small smile was turned up onto his face. Maybe baked goods are the way to his heart... You tasted your own piece, a wave of memories flooding back to you. 

You remembered your mom, your kitchen, making this dish together. There was spilt batter, flower thrown at each other, and a delicious cake shared between the two of you. There was laughter, warmth, and love. You missed the feelings this memory gave you.

"That was hardly worth the waste of time," Sir Nighteye sighed, looking at you with disdain. A bit of anger spiked your brain, ruining the good feelings of the memory.

"Well That sure didn't stop you from eating it all, did it?" You asked sarcastically. Everyone looked at you for a moment, then to Sir. He stared at you for a moment, then smiled a bit. The room let out a collective sigh of relief.

"Where did you learn to bake  this?" Toshi cut the tension.

"My mom and I used to bake these  together all the time. It was a fun thing she taught me to do a long time ago."

"Thank you for the shortcake, but we really need to get started." Nighteye said, standing up from the counter.

"You're right," Toshinori agreed, stacking everyones empty plates. Your stomach sank: you'd almost forgotten you were about to fight All Might himself.

Sorry the chapter is short (and late) this week. It's my birthday so I've been spending the past few days with friends and family!
The next chapter will be a short Halloween special so see you Wednesday!

Thanks! <3