Chapter 19: The Dream

TW: Violence and a bit of smut

Blood. That was the first thing he saw. Puddles of it, all leaking from an unknown source across the room from him. The cement was stained red, the smell of iron burning his nose. He didn't know what was going on, really. He was in his hero suit, which was tattered and torn, surrounded by a burning city, without any identifiable source of the chaos. Smoke and flames were erupting from skyscraper windows as the world around him burned. It was unnaturally quiet. Had there been a villain attack? A natural disaster? What was going on? Where was he?

He tried to right his brain as he walked around. The disorientation was especially unnerving. This wasn't normal for him. Usually he was always on top of things, why was this any different? The first and only thing he was able to focus on was the trail of blood. It was thick and fresh, leading him down the cement sidewalk. The stream got wider and wider as he traveled down it a few feet until he could finally see the source, a small body off in the distance.

He immediately ran for it, wanting to help whoever it was if it wasn't too late. Why weren't there medics on the scene? Why weren't there other heroes nearby? What exactly was this unnamed threat? As he ran closer and closer he started to panic, every step he took forward felt like he was making five steps backward. The body was getting farther and farther away. His panic grew, who was the figure? He had to get there immediately to help.

With a frantic jump he finally closed the gap to the body laying in front of him. Yellow gloves were the first thing he recognized, followed by a white cape and a blue jumpsuit. Her black hair and signature bun were crusted with blood, leaking from a superficial wound on her forehead. The true source of the trail of blood was her stomach, which was ripped and torn open, its contents spilling onto the ground in a bloody pile. The sight gagged him.

"M-Master!" He screamed, falling onto his knees next to her. He pulled her up into his young arms, trying his best to force her insides back where they belonged. Blood coated his hero suit as tended to her, his hands now stained a sickening red. Tears streamed freely down the young heroes face.

"T-Toshinori?" She asked, clouded eyes gazing tiredly up at him. "What are you doing here?"

"Master, I need to get you help. Please! Someone help!" He screamed, his voice desperate.

"Toshinori," She sound strained, weak, "You need to get out of here."

He felt so confused. Why was he there anyways? His master had died years ago, he'd escaped before she was defeated by All for One. But she was there, in front of him, dying before his eyes. Was this a dream?

"I can't just leave you," He stressed, rocking anxiously back and forth with her in his young arms.

"You must! He'll kill you!! I-" She was suddenly cut off by the collapse of a building nearby.

As if the torment of watching his teacher die before his eyes wasn't enough, the dream suddenly shifted, his focus moving to the figure coming out of the rubble. A tall, suited man made his way forward out of the demolished building. Panic filled Toshinori's body. He had to get Nana out of there, had to get her to help and into safety, but he was trapped.

"All Might..." The man growled in disdain as power swirled around him. The rubble began to disintegrate into dust beneath his feet, flames flickering furiously behind him. The man took a few steps forward and smiled smugly. He knew he'd won. Toshinori was there, his for the taking, Nana was near death, and his victory was at hand. Toshinori's stomach lurched.