Halloween Special

Better late than never, right? I'm not really sure how well this concept played out but I liked it anyways. Please enjoy!

Nights, in your opinion, were the perfect time to fly your broom. The crisp fall air swirled around you, picking up bundles of red and orange leaves as you glided through the forest, a long broomstick situated between your legs. The full moon shone above you, illuminating the dirt path you traveled across. It was a journey you'd traveled many times before, so familiar that you're body could guide your broomstick without use of your brain.

You were bringing a small basket of fresh baked goods to your friend, Saffron, who didn't seem to make much time for eating amongst the other things she had to do when running the tiny village you called home. She would scold you for traveling alone so late at night, stating that it was too dangerous, but you didn't care. You'd never seen a single soul out in the woods, and you doubt you ever would. Plus, you were starting to become more confident in your abilities as a witch, you could surely take on anything that might threaten you.

Your mother had told you of a legend that surrounded the forest, a tale probably intended to scare children from running off into the thicket and getting hurt. It spoke of a beast, larger than any mortal man. He was cursed, a man by day but forced by the moon to take on a different shape at night. Legend said that the prowled on the weak and innocent, luring them deep into the forest to never be heard from again.

You never paid the tale any mind, even as a child. The thought of something unknown excited you. You weren't afraid of much, and silly tales for children certainly wasn't on that list.

An especially crisp breeze brushed past your calves, blowing the fabric of your skirt like a kite. You wobbled on your broom, but stabilized yourself as you continued on your way. You pulled your cloak closer around you and shivered, letting out a warm breath that blew like smoke up into the air.

"Almost there," You reminded yourself, thinking of the toasty fire Saffron would have waiting for you. She'd probably treat you to tea as well, or some other warm drink to heat your cold bones.

The path continued for a while longer as the sky began to darken, bringing another bitter blast of cold wind with it. It snapped your wandering mind from it's day dreaming, giving you a moment to look at your surroundings.

"Shit..." You mumbled, realizing that you must've strayed off of your path when you weren't paying attention.

The path beneath you was nowhere near as worn and well used at the one you were used to, and weaved back and forth through the trees and bushes.

You dismounted your broom and tucked it beneath your arm, hoping if you took a moment to get your bearings you would figure out where you'd gotten lost. Unfortunately, you had no such luck.

"Fuck..." You groaned, taking a few steps down the leaf covered path. Nothing seemed familiar to you, you couldn't even see the original path you'd traveled on. Your best hope was to fly above the treeline with your broom and see if you could see some sort of landmark from up there. It'd be a pain with this cold, but it was better than getting even more lost. The dark would make it difficult, but if the full moon that was beginning to shine in the sky would light your way. You looked disdainfully into your basket of once warm goods. Saffron would be so disappointed that they weren't hot and fresh, but some pastries were better than none.

Just as you were about to remount your broom and fly higher to get a better look, you felt a gush of hot wind whip your hair aside. You could hear footsteps crunch the leaves behind you, heavy feet paired with deep breathing. You bristled, the alarms in your head urging you to run, but you didn't move.