Chapter 39: The hospital

When Toshinori woke the first time, all he could do was moan in agony. It felt like his entire body was ripped in half, his insides having been pulled out through the gouge in his side. It was so hard for him to breathe, difficult for him to even stay conscious or focus on the things around him. He heard the beeping of hospital monitors, the hum of a machine pumping oxygen into his remaining lung for him. He heard his own screams of agony, and the click of heels against the floor as the doctor came in to sedate him again. Soon after, once his screams had faded and his mind had grown even groggier in his half-aware state, he fell asleep.

It happened like this many times, more than he could count. He had no recollection of how much time had passed, didn't know whether he was healing or slowly dying. The pain was less and less intense each time he woke up and went back to sleep until eventually he was conscious without the need to cry out in pain.

The cycle was finally broken when he woke up fully for the first time. He felt unbearably groggy, but noticed the distinct lack of humming from the machine that helped him breathe. Instead of the hard plastic tube shoved down his throat, he felt the soft rubber of a respirator mask around his mouth.

It felt painful to crack his eyelids open a single millimeter, but he forced himself to open his eyes and check his surroundings.

Sunlight streamed into the open window of the hospital bed through the blinds. He craned his neck to the side to look at the immeasurable amount of gifts and flowers his closest friends had sent him.

"I-I'm not dead," He rasped, his voice nowhere near its normal booming quality.

"No, not yet." He heard an older voice from the other side of the room. He turned his neck to the other side to view Gran Torino, in a hospital robe. He was perched in a small chair, sipping a cup of tea as he read a book. Sir Nighteye was smartly dressed as always, working on a stack of paperwork in front of him.

Toshinori suddenly remembered the events that had led him into the hospital.

"All for One," He choked, suddenly sitting up. Pain lanced through him. "Is he- did he?"

"Lay back down, Toshinori." Gran Torino scowled. The old man and sir Nighteye were up in a moment, joining him at his bedside and urging him back down onto the bed.

Toshinori felt inexplicable pain in his sides as he moved, he could taste iron in the back of his throat.

"He's gone, Toshinori. You did it." Gran Torino squeezed his shoulder.

Toshinori felt inexplicable relief flood his being. All for One was defeated. He'd done it. You'd done it.

Wait...

Toshinori's blood ran cold. Images of your body crumpled against the sharp rock deep in the sea. He remembered your blood pouring out as you drained all for One, only for him to crush you against the rocks.

Could you have survived?

He struggled to sit back up in bed, attempting in vain.

"(Y/N)? Where is (Y/N)?" He asked frantically, fighting against the two men who tried to push him back into the bed. He felt so weak. He could barely push back against their hands, and the more he struggled the more he felt blood pool into his mouth until it was too much and he had to cough it out.

"Is she okay? Tell me she's okay!" He cried, gripping on to his mentor's robe when he had no fight left in him.

"Lay down, Toshinori. We can't tell you anything if you try to kill yourself like this!" The old man grumbled. Toshi could see the hurt in the old man's eyes, the pain in Nighteyes.