Part 44

~ 44 ~

The engagement party is over, everyone leaves and all family members bid each other goodbyes.

You tried reaching out to Jungkook but he continued ignoring you, not even throwing a simple glance your way. It was almost as if your existence had vanished.

"Bye, Jungkook. Congrats again, man." Taehyung said, going in for a quick hug before letting go.

"Nothing to be congratulated about but hey thanks." Jungkook smiled back and you couldn't tell whether it was fake or real because of the almost murderous manner Jungkook gazed at Taehyung and the simultaneous desire to hug him.

"Okay, we'll be heading home now. Bye." Tae patted Jungkook's shoulder and swept right beside him, towards his car.

You give Jungkook one last glance, but he doesn't even bat an eye. Dejectedly, you walk away.

"Alright son, let's go. But before that, go and apologize to Yuna for me." Sung-Ho, his father, sternly whispered.

Jungkook rolled his eyes and approached Yuna, promptly giving her a back embrace while resting his head on her shoulder.

"Sorry," she blushes as his pungent cologne immediately fills her nostrils while he pecks her ear. "Sorry, love. Didn't mean to be that harsh." He chuckled as he whispered in her ear.

Do you think he meant that?

No.

He was doing it because he spotted you gazing outside Tae's car window as Tae was preparing to drive.

"It's okay," Yuna turns to face him and pouts a little. Now, Jungkook had his face close to hers and his arms on her shoulders.

He's so manipulative.

"I'll miss you, bye." She let out a sigh before giving him a peck.

"Bye." His snarky smirk made it pretty plain that he intended to play with her just to make you jealous, which would force you to chase after him like he used to.

Yuna waves as he climbs into the backseat of his parent's car, with his parents close behind him. Once they're all seated, his father begins driving.  

Jungkook quickly rolled down the window and stared out, once again feeling that pit of gloom. He lumped in his throat and was blinking away the tears while his fingers grip tightly onto the ring he's promised to put on your finger. It was in his pocket, still there since the day of your breakup. He still won't breach that pledge despite almost two years gone.

His parents always treated him like a kid especially now that he's an adult. Being their only child, after they've completely abandoned their daughter for choosing to marry a poor man, they became a little too protective of him.

"I don't think we could've found a better match for Jungkook. Yuna's great." The sound of his father's voice rippled through his head like daggers slicing skin. "When's the wedding again?" He turned his head towards his wife.

"Two months from now," Seo-Jun replies to her husband.

Jungkook furrowed his brow.

They've already fixed his wedding date?

"Two months? Tch." Sung-Ho scoffs. It was obvious from the tone of his speech that he wasn't happy with the date. "How about we make it next month?"

Jungkook gritted his teeth. No way he's marrying Yuna next month. There's just no way!

"Well, what's the hurry about?" Seo-Jun frowns.

"Well, I was thinking the faster the better, you know?" Sung-Ho clears his throat. "After the wedding, Yuna's father and I were thinking of bringing our companies together. That way, our business will have a much greater impact on this country. What do you say, honey?" Sung-Ho smiles as he reaches for his wife's hand, gripping it tenderly while he drives.