Prologue

Everyone knew about the Stumph family tragedy. It was big enough news at the time. It had been the reason for his parents' divorce when he was eight. It fueled a lot of creativity for Patrick as he was growing up. His parents never fully recovered. What parent ever recovers from losing a child? What sibling ever recovers from losing their baby sister?

Throughout his entire childhood, in Glenview, IL, he was constantly reminded about how easy it is to lose someone.

Patrick's parents didn't try to scare their remaining kids into thinking they could be next, but that thought hung over the family for years.

His parents' divorce only cemented to Patrick the fact that people come and go in your life.  He was close with his siblings and his mom, but didn't talk to his dad quite as much. David, Patrick's father blamed Patricia for the loss of their baby daughter. Patricia blamed herself as well.

Patrick didn't blame either of his parents. He didn't blame his siblings. He blamed himself. He never told anyone that.

After baby Kat, Kaitlyn, had been kidnapped, right out of her stroller when she was just six months old, and Patrick was seven, the family struggled to keep itself together, eventually culminating in the parents' divorce. As long as David blamed Patricia, there could be no reconciliation.

Patrick had been with his mom when Kat was kidnapped. They were shopping for some new school clothes for Patrick, since school was starting soon and he'd spent the summer outgrowing everything that had fit him the year before. 

Patrick had been in the change room trying on a pair of pants and a top that he was absolutely certain would get him beaten up in school. His mother was pleading with him to at least come out and let her see. He was arguing that he wasn't opening the door for everyone to see. There was no room in the fitting room area for Patricia to bring the stroller, and seeing no one around, and Kat, already a good baby, was fast asleep. Patricia figured she could leave the stroller for just a second and see how Patrick looked.

"I don't know why you picked the very last change room, Patty," Patricia said, sighing.

"Don't call me Patty!" The seven year old complained.

"Just open the door Patrick. Let me see."

"If you buy these I promise I will never wear them and they'll be a waste of money!"

"Fine. Just let me make sure we have the right size!" Patricia said. It was getting late, Kat was going to need to be fed soon, she still had to make dinner for her family and Patrick and the older two started back in just three days. She did not have time for her youngest son's antics.

Reluctantly, Patrick opened the door just a crack and Patricia pulled it open the rest of the way, startling the small, bespeckled boy. He more or less stumbled out of the fitting room.

"You look adorable," Patricia smiled at her son. He crossed his arms and frowned at her.

"I look beat-up-able," he grumbled.

Patricia heard Kat let out a small whine from outside the change area.

"Patrick, fine. We won't get that outfit. How is the rest? Kat's getting hungry and I need to get home and make dinner."

"The rest is fine, I guess," he grumbled. "But the blue sweater is itchy."

"Okay. Leave that, leave the sweater, get changed and let's get going."

Patrick closed the door and Patricia could hear him pulling off the clothes he hated and changing. She went back out towards the front where Kat's stroller was.

"Mom!" Patrick cried out. Patricia rolled her eyes in exasperation and went back to Patrick's change room.

"What, Patrick?"

"I'm stuck!" He said, opening the door and showing Patricia that he was indeed stuck in the sweater she'd made him try on. Patricia stifled a smile and helped her son out of the sweater.

"There. Put your shirt on and let's go!"

Patrick pulled on his t-shirt, slid his feet into his sneakers and rearranged his glasses as he picked up the few clothes he'd actually liked and would wear.

Mother and son went out to get Kat and the stroller.

The stroller was there. But Kat wasn't.

"Where's Kat?" Patricia asked, feeling stupid for asking, because where would a six month old baby even go on their own?  Nowhere.

Patricia grabbed Patrick and the stroller and ran to the nearest associate.

"Excuse me, have you seen anyone with a baby?"

"I've seen a lot of people with babies today," the unhelpful sales associate said.

"I had my baby sleeping in the stroller and now she's gone! She's only six months old! Someone took my baby!"

The sales associate became a lot more friendly and helpful after that. He jumped into action, calling a Code Adam immediately, calling his manager and supervisor, who both showed up mere moments later. The supervisor had already called the police and Patricia was using a store phone to call David at home.

Despite everything, Kat was gone. She'd completely vanished.

The Stumph family never did see her again.