Chapter 35

Thanksgiving wound up not being as bad as Ashlynn had worried. Dinner at Kevin's was fun. Ashlynn hung out with Megan and her family, and of course, Patrick and Elisa. Everyone said they were thankful to have Ashlynn home, and Ashlynn said she was grateful to be home. What else was she supposed to say? They didn't need to know she was still heading to California as soon as possible. At least the end of the school year. The latest.

"Ash," Kevin said at the end of the night as she was pulling on her jacket and getting ready to go home with Patricia. "Remember, like Patrick said, you're welcome here anytime you want. Or need. Just give me a call and I'll come get you, okay?"

Ashlynn thanked Kevin, and Patricia propelled her out of the house since Ashlynn had already started dozing off on the couch while everyone was sitting around. She wasn't used to so much food and had never really had a thanksgiving like the Stumph family.

All day her phone had been blowing up with texts from Andy, Joe, Pete, Josh and Tyler wishing her a happy thanksgiving. Andy asked how things were going, and they had a conversation for a little while until he had to go to his own Thanksgiving dinner.

Ashlynn got into the car with Patricia, and they headed home.

"Did you have fun?" Patricia asked Ashlynn.

"Mmhm," Ashlyn said, leaning against the window, closing her eyes and listening to the radio and her mom talking to her.

"Tired?" Patricia asked.

"Yeah. That 'turkey coma' thing people talk about. That's a real thing," Ashlynn said. "I don't think I've ever been this full. I think I should have worn sweatpants."

Patricia looked over at her daughter, wearing a pair of nice jeans, and a button-down shirt with a sweater overtop. She wore her new winter jacket as it had gotten cold in Illinois.

"You looked very nice tonight," Patricia said.

"Thanks, Mom," Ashlynn yawned.

"Are you okay to go to your dad's tomorrow?" Patricia asked.

Ashlynn sighed.

"I guess so," she said.

"Are you packed?"

"Just need to toss in my toiletries, but yeah. I think so."

"He's trying, Ash. He really is. We had a long talk the other day while we were figuring out the weekend and whether I'd drop you off or he'd come pick you up. He talked to his therapist about the whole Kaitlyn/Ashlynn thing that I told you about. I think he's going to be better. At least, for your sake, I hope he will."

"We'll see," Ashlynn muttered. It wasn't that long a drive from Kevin's to home, but Ashlynn was slowly lapsing into that food coma she'd heard about.

"Don't fall asleep, Ash. I can't carry you upstairs."

"Just resting my eyes," she said. "If I fall asleep, you can wake me up when we get home."

Patricia smiled.

Ashlynn did fall asleep just as they were getting close to home. Patricia felt bad waking her up, but as she'd said, she couldn't carry Ashlynn inside.

"Okay, Ash. We're home. Wake up sweetie," she said, shaking her shoulder.

"Okay, Mom," Ashlynn mumbled, and sat up, blinking. Patricia smiled.

The two of them went into the house and Ashlynn went straight upstairs to bed.

"Ash?" Patricia said as Ashlynn was going into her room.