Chapter 13

Kat Comes Back!
Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump Reveals
Identity of Teenaged Girl

LOS ANGELES, CA - Fall Out Boy had two shows booked at the Forum in Los Angeles last week. Thursday's show went off without a hitch, the group performing their hits and some of their new music from their most recent album.

Patrick Stump, the group's lead singer, did seem to get distracted at one point in the show and some of the banter between him and bandmate Pete Wentz fell flat at one point. But the group picked up again and the rest of their performance was flawless.

However, the second show, on Friday, was cut short when Stump was called away in the middle of the show. The group apologized to their fans, citing a family emergency, while Stump left the stage and the venue in short order.

Stump wasn't seen again in public for two days, while his band mates took interviews without him. When asked where Patrick was, the only reply the band would give was that he was dealing with a private family matter.

That 'private family matter', it has been revealed, was that Patrick Stump had stumbled upon his missing baby sister, who has been seen with the group in the last few days.

It is not unknown that the Stumph family (Patrick dropped the 'H' professionally to avoid mispronunciation) suffered a tragedy in 1991, when Patrick was just seven-years-old. It was then that the youngest Stumph child, a six-month-old baby girl named Kaitlyn, had been kidnapped from her stroller in a WalMart. The family had mostly lost hope of finding Kaitlyn again. Though Patrick had never stopped believing that his sister was still alive and out in the world somewhere.

A chance encounter after Thursday's concert led to Stump inviting the girl and a friend back to the show Friday night. However, the girl suffered an undisclosed health crisis while meeting the band and was rushed to Cedars-Sinai hospital, missing the show. Another crisis occurred, causing the band to end their show early.

DNA testing confirmed that the girl is in fact the Stumph's missing daughter. She will be reunited with the rest of her family when Fall Out Boy has completed their business in Los Angeles, and Patrick and his sister return to Chicago.

Kaitlyn was kidnapped by Karen Summerlin, 43, of Chicago and grew up in a variety of cities across the continental US. Mrs. Summerlin had lost a child to SIDS and kidnapped Kaitlyn to replace her lost child. She is being held, along with her husband, Brian Summerlin, 45, also from Chicago, awaiting trial and sentencing.

Mrs. Summerlin is accused of child abuse, endangering a minor and kidnapping while Mr. Summerlin is charged with being an accomplice to kidnapping, aiding and abetting the endangerment of a minor and willful neglect of a minor. They are expected to be in court in June and are being held without bail until their trial.

The Stumphs, however, are keeping Kaitlyn well guarded as the family waits to be reunited.
———————

The next day at the photocall and the video shoot, Ashlynn was quiet, reserved, but seemed interested in what Patrick and the band were doing. The photographer also offered to take a few photos of Patrick and Ashlynn. Patrick accepted. Ashlynn smiled and looked great. Patrick couldn't have looked happier if he tried.

The story had already made the papers and Ashlynn's phone was ringing all day with texts from her friends from school asking if it was true. Every time her phone dinged, Ashlynn frowned at it. Eventually, she just turned it off.

Josh explained what Patrick and the band were doing for the video, and Ashlynn sat behind the scenes watching. She looked happy. Every time Patrick looked over at her and caught her eye, she smiled at him. It was a small smile and she was still very reserved, but she acknowledged Patrick.