Chapter 54

The doctor was concerned about Ashlynn's mental state. He asked why she might have been considering suicide. Although, he said, the way she cut her wrists wasn't enough to have actually had her bleed out the way she, presumably, intended.

"Yes, she'd have bled a lot. And that is terrifying enough. And she did lose enough blood to warrant us giving her a transfusion. My concern though is why."

Patrick took a deep breath and spoke the words that pained all of them.

"She was raped in New York a few weeks ago. She hasn't spoken since. She's been bottling it up, and I don't know why. She has a therapist and she's been going, but she won't speak. We've been trying to help her by telling her it wasn't her fault and trying to keep some semblance of normality for her by getting back into her routine. But none of it seems to have helped."

The doctor nodded.

"I'd like to admit her for a 72-hour psychiatric hold. We'll get our therapists to help her through that. It's pretty typical for this type of case. We'd extend it with your permission if it seems she needs more help for a longer period. But for now, 72 hours should suffice to see if we can't turn some of this around for her."

Patricia nodded while she sobbed. She didn't want to leave her daughter in the hospital. She wasn't sure how much she would be allowed to stay with Ashlynn. But for now, she just wanted to see her daughter.

"She's asleep right now, but I'm okay letting you back there with her. She needs to know no one will judge her harshly for this," he said.

"We won't. We can't. We know what happened. We know she's in pain. We just didn't know it was this bad," Patricia said.

The doctor nodded. He cleared his throat.

"It's not uncommon for girls in your daughter's situation to blame themselves. Society has made it so that we've even convinced the girls that it's their fault. And a great many of those girls go on to attempt suicide, or succeed," the doctor said. "It's, unfortunately, all too common and getting worse.  We have a fantastic psychologist who is trained, specifically, in dealing with teens who have been assaulted."

"Lucky us," Patrick murmured.

"Patrick, shhh," Patricia whispered.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"Don't be. No one wants to have the need for so specialized a focus. But there is, thank goodness. As unfortunate as it is to say, we're lucky enough to have her here.  So, yes.  Lucky you. And lucky Ashlynn."

Patrick couldn't really argue that. He slumped a little lower in his chair. He'd worked through stopping blaming himself for Ashlynn's attack. He reminded himself of that as he looked at his sister, asleep in a hospital bed, monitors attached to her, measuring her breathing, checking she was getting enough oxygen, how well her heart was beating and her temperature, which was currently a little low. 

The nurses said that while she'd been unconscious when she came in, she was also being kept mildly sedated, to help her rest. It was obvious from the dark circles under her eyes, and layers of makeup, that Ashlynn hadn't been sleeping very well, either.  The doctor said he would go through everything they had told him from Ashlynn's identity, coming to terms with the kidnapping, moving to Chicago, the assault and a whole host of things that had occurred in the past few months leading up to tonight, and try to formulate a diagnosis and hopefully a prognosis. He would discuss his observations and opinions with Dr. Atkins and come up with some preliminary treatment plans. If she could get Ashlynn to talk, she would be able to fit all the puzzle pieces together and formulate a solid treatment plan. The ER doctor said she was remarkably adept at these treatments and treatment plans, she had a great success rate. And her research was balanced. She reported failures along with reasons she thought may have contributed. The ER doctor was clearly enamoured by this psychologist.

"And if she can't get Ashlynn to talk?" Patricia asked.

"I don't think that's going to be an issue. Dr. Atkins is absolutely remarkable. However, if that is the case, she'll formulate a new treatment plan. She doesn't give up. Not until she has to."

"And how, you know what? I'm sorry, I'm not being fair to you. If it's possible, could we meet this Dr. Atkins before we decide if we want to move forward with her methods?"

"Of course. She'll be doing rounds tomorrow at one in the afternoon. Ashlynn will be moved up to the ward in about an hour, I'll let you get her settled for the night, say goodnight, and then I'll see you at nine tomorrow. I'll let the nurse at the window know to expect you. Will anyone else be coming?"

"Me, my mom, my friend Andy. And maybe Jonah?"

"No. Not Jonah," Andy said. "Nothing against the kid, but I don't think Ash would want him to know about New York."

"Good point," Patrick said. "Elisa?"

"I don't think she knows I know," Elisa reasoned.

"So me, mom and Andy," Patrick said. The three nodded.

"Okay. We'll see you at nine tomorrow. Why don't you go be with Ashlynn until we move her upstairs?" He led them to where Ashlynn was. She was asleep, an IV in her hand, her wrists bandages and taped. She looked so innocent. It was hard to believe the reasons they were here had happened.

Patricia smoothed Ashlynn's hair down. She held Ashlynn's hand and whispered in her ear.

After a while, porters came to take Ashlynn upstairs. Because it was a locked ward, Patricia would have to come back in the morning. They had to get Ashlynn settled and if she woke up, they'd deal with however she reacted.

Patricia reluctantly left her baby in the capable hands of the medical staff. Patrick and Elisa, and Andy walked her out after they'd all said good night to Ashlynn, hoping things would look brighter in the morning.