Chapter 17

"Ash, hey, Ash," Patrick said quietly, gently shaking Ashlynn's shoulder. She started to stir. Finally, her eyes fluttered open. She looked around frantically and sat up suddenly.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. You're okay. You're home. In your room," Patrick said.

Ashlynn frowned.

"This isn't my room," she said.

"Of course it is. Well, it is now," Patrick said. "Come on. Mom's made dinner. Spaghetti and meat sauce."

"I'm not hungry," Ashlynn said.

"You must be. You haven't eaten since breakfast. In LA."

"Well, I'm not. I'm not hungry."

"Ashlynn," Patrick said. "We all know this isn't easy for you. It's a lot of change and a lot overwhelming. But come on. Mom, Dad, Megan and Kevin want to get to know you."

Tears filled Ashlynn's eyes. Patrick wrapped her in a hug.

"I know, Ash. I know it's hard. I can't imagine how you're feeling."

"Hey," Megan's voice came from the doorway. "Mom's wondering what's taking so long. Oh!  Ashlynn! What's the matter sweetheart?"

Megan came into the room and knelt in front of Ashlynn.

"I think she's feeling a little overwhelmed," Patrick said.

"Oh, Kat, I mean, Ash. Sorry," Megan said. "It's okay. We won't hurt you. We've missed you so much. Patrick never gave up hope we'd find you. Even after the police told us you probably weren't alive anymore."

"Megan!" Patrick said.

"You thought I was dead?" Ashlynn whispered.

"Well, the police told us it was highly unlikely we'd find you alive after the first 48 hours. And it's been 15 years. It's not that we lost hope. We just, I guess, tried to accept it. It was easier and so much less painful. We mourned you, of course."

"My m - Karen - told me my birth mom, our mom, was a drug addict who didn't want me."

"Oh, Mom wanted you. You were Daddy's Little Princess.  You had him wrapped around your finger," Megan smiled. "You were a really cute baby. This tiny little button nose, tiny little ears. You hardly ever cried."

"Because someone was always holding her," Patrick smiled.

"My - uh, Karen - told me I cried all the time and that's why my mom got rid of me."

"Huh. Well, she lied to you from day one. This shouldn't be surprising," Patrick grimaced.

"I guess," Ashlynn said.

"So, you coming down for dinner?" Megan asked.

Ashlynn frowned.

"I - I'm not hungry," Ashlynn said.

"So come sit at the table and don't eat - which Mom will not allow to happen," Megan smiled.

"Come on, Ash," Patrick said. "How are you going to get to know your family if you hide out from them?"

Ashlynn acquiesced and went downstairs with her big brother and big sister.

"There she is!" Patricia said. "We wanted to go out, or order in, to celebrate, but your brothers and sister pointed out that just getting out, especially today, might be a bit much. Come, I made spaghetti and meat sauce. Oh! Do you even eat meat? I didn't think to ask."

"She eats meat," Patrick said, putting his arm around Ashlynn's shoulders and leading her to the table. Everyone wanted her next to them, but in the end, Patrick sat beside her and Patricia was at the head of the table beside her.