Chapter 12

The doctor sat in the chair Patrick had just vacated and smiled at Ashlynn. Ashlynn did not return his smile.

"So," Dr. Taylor said.

Ashlynn just stared back at him.

"Ashlynn, your brother, and the doctors here, are concerned about you. You came in with an extremely high blood alcohol level, and a very deep cut on your arm, that your brother says is self-inflicted.  It's my job to just talk with you to ensure you're not a danger to yourself or others."

Ashlynn didn't speak.

"Can you tell me where you got four bottles of vodka?"

Ashlynn stared him down.

"Okay. Let me preface this by saying you aren't in any trouble. Not legally, anyway. No one is going to arrest you for underage drinking or cutting your arm. But, if you don't answer my questions, I might have to admit you for a 72-hour psychiatric hold to make sure you're not suicidal."

"I'm not," Ashlynn said.

"Okay, good. You can speak."

Ashlynn frowned at him.

"So, why don't you tell me what happened tonight to land you here."

Ashlynn rolled her eyes and sighed.

"It's a long story. And it's stupid," she said.

"Well, it's not my job to judge if someone does something 'stupid'. It's my job to make sure they either weren't planning on doing something more stupid, or they won't hurt themselves or others. So, how about it?"

Ashlynn sighed.

"Fine. But you'll think it's dumb."

"Try me," Dr. Taylor smiled.

"Patrick, my brother, well, it turns out my parents - who I thought were my parents - actually kidnapped me as a baby," Ashlynn started and related the whole story from the night she and Lexi had snuck out to the first concert to the night they had the passes, to finding out about Patrick being her brother and everything that had happened since.

"So then, tonight after dinner, Patrick said we should go back to the room to go to bed, and, I don't know. It made me mad that he was telling me what to do."

"I have one very difficult question to ask," Dr. Taylor said. "Did your - did the kidnappers ever sexually abuse you?"

"No!" Ashlynn said. "I mean, no. Karen just hit me. Brian never touched me, really."

"Okay. So, you were mad that Patrick was what? Trying to parent you?"

"I guess. But I don't know. I guess I was just mad. I took the bottles before we went to dinner and hid them in my room. Karen drank and usually passed out. I was mad and I wanted to just sleep so I thought I'd try that. I didn't know that it would hit me so hard so fast. And when I cut myself..." Ashlynn stopped.

"Go on. Remember. No judgement."

"I didn't mean to go so deep, but I was drunk and..."

"I see.  But killing yourself, that was never in your mind? You said you wanted to sleep."

"Just sleep. Not forever. I'm just, I'm so confused. My whole life has been a lie," Ashlynn said, tears welling up in her eyes again. "Why did she take me and then treat me like she did?"

Dr. Taylor looked at Ashlynn with sympathy.

"I can't imagine how you're feeling," he said to her. "At least in terms of finding out that your past isn't what you thought it was. But I understand confusion and feeling out of control. You do understand though, that drinking to excess and cutting yourself aren't healthy coping mechanisms."