Chapter 8

Patrick carefully wrapped his arms around her while she cried.

"I'm so sorry," he said. "But I promise, it's gonna get better."

Ashlyn was, at the moment, inconsolable.  Everything she had ever known had been pulled right out from under her.

Patrick held her until her sobs slowed. He looked down and saw she'd fallen asleep.

'Poor kid,' he thought to himself.

He got off the bed and gently covered his baby sister with the blankets.

Patrick pulled out his phone and called his mom.

"Hi Patrick! How's L.A.?" She asked.

"Mom, I have something to tell you and I need for you to be sitting down."

"Patrick, are you okay? Patricia asked.

"I'm okay. I'm more than okay. I'm the best I've been in 15 years," he said, grinning. "And you will be too."

"Why does this sound like the start to some sci-fi movie?" Patricia asked.

"Mom, I'm serious. I need you to be sitting down."

"I'm sitting, I'm sitting. What's so important I need to be sitting?"

"I found her." Patrick said quietly.

"Found who?" His mother asked, confused.

"Kat. I found Kat! Mom! I found her!"

"Oh, Patrick. Please don't do this. It's been 15 years. The police already told us, Kat is probably dead, sweetheart."

"They were wrong. I found her. Chicago PD will probably be by soon to tell you. We had DNA tests. It's her, Mom. It's Kat! Except she goes by Ashlynn now.

Patrick heard the doorbell go off on his mom's end.

"Patrick, it's the police," She said.

"I told you they're there to tell you we found Kat,"

Patrick's mom put Patrick on speakerphone so he could listen. 

"Mrs. Stumph?  I'm Officer Bailey. This is Officer Derick.  Can we come in?"

"Of course," Patricia said. 

There was the sound of the officers entering the house.

"May we sit?"

"Can I ask what this is about?"

"We'd like it if you would sit down, please, ma'am," one of the officers said.

"You're making me nervous," Patricia said.

"We're sorry, ma'am, but it would make us more comfortable if you were sitting down. We have some news for you and we're not sure how you're going to react."

"Okay, I'm sitting."

"We're here to inform you that we have been advised that your daughter, Kaitlyn Stumph has been located. She is alive and currently residing in Los Angeles, California."

"You're joking," Patricia said.

"Patrick, it is true?" She said into the phone.

"It's true Ma.  I'm with her right now."

"How is she? What does she look like? Is she okay?"

"She's okay. She looks like Megan at 15."

The police wanted to talk to Patricia more about bringing Kat - Ashlynn - home. Patrick hung up with her as they promised to talk again soon.