Attention to names

AN: Hermione makes some conjectures at the beginning of this chapter about Harry and how he was able to shake the Imperius so easily. She brings up that he might have ADHD, and while he might, be aware that this is the opinion of a fourteen/fifteen year old girl who's done a week of binge reading in between studying for classes, not a professional. Self diagnosis is valid, but it should be done after a LOT more research than Hermione put into it. Does Harry have ADHD? I have no clue. I'm not qualified to make that call. But yeah. Just remember that these are the opinions of a teenage girl after a week of research between her obsessive studying for classes, so closer to like a day or so of research.

The days passed, and Hermione practically disappeared outside of classes, which all of Les Amis knew to mean that she was researching something or other intently. Almost a week after the Unforgivables lesson Hermione showed up at the library where they were all studying and plopped down in the empty chair.

"What, no pile of books?" Ron teased.

"Oh, I learned a spell recently that lets me expand the space inside of my bag infinitely. It's made research much easier."

"You learned a new spell and you haven't taught me?" Draco yelped.

"I only learned it this week, calm down. Now." She turned to Harry. "I've been thinking about how you got out of the Imperius and I think I've discovered how. You managed to escape the Imperius by having ADHD."

Harry was silent for a moment, looking at Hermione. "Having what now."

Hermione snorted. "ADHD. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. You're easily distracted and you need to always be moving, basically. But since you're so easily distracted, it made it easy for you to throw off the Imperius."

Harry didn't say anything for another minute, and then he shrank down in his chair. "You mean the Dursleys were right about me?"

Draco gaped at him for a moment before he very quietly spoke. "What exactly were they right about." It wasn't a question, even though it seemed like it should have been.

"About me being an attention seeking delinquent," Harry whispered.

"That is not at all what I said, Harry," Hermione said firmly. "I said that you're attention is easily stolen by things, not that you seek attention. If anything, you avoid attention like the plague itself."

Neville nodded. "Yeah. The only attention you like that I've seen comes from people you know and like, or from people who are paying attention to you, and not your name."

Ginny lightly punched his arm. "You're not an attention seeking delinquent Harry. If anything, you're an attention avoiding delinquent."

Harry laughed weakly and sat back up. "Thanks Firecracker. Now, we really need to finish this essay. Moody may be a horrid instructor for teaching fourth years the Unforgivables but I don't want to actually fail his class."

***********************

The day of the other schools' arrivals finally came, and the whole school gathered out on the front lawn to welcome them. It was a chilly day about a week before Halloween, and most of the students had had the foresight to bundle up in warmer clothes. The students chattered for a few minutes before the guests arrived, then a seventh year girl shouted and pointed at the sky. Harry glanced up and saw a large dot growing closer by the second. Before long it took shape as a large carriage pulled by horses with wings. Harry thought it was brilliant.

When it landed, a very tall woman, even taller than Hagrid, stepped out of the carriage, followed by a gaggle of young adults in powder blue uniforms. The giant lady was introduced as Madame Maxime, the Headmistress of Beauxbatons. The young adults were the students over seventeen. They all seemed to defer to one girl in particular, a beautiful young woman with silvery blonde hair and deep blue eyes. For some reason Ron couldn't take his eyes off of her, and Hermione did not look happy about it.