Grave names

Harry grinned as the cart pulled up at the Potter vault in Gringotts. The cart ride was always so fun, even if Remus looked like he was going to puke a bit. Sirius laughed as Harry practically pulled him over to the door, with Regulus grinning while holding Remus up as his stomach caught up with him. The goblin opened the door with the key Sirius gave him and Harry grinned as he practically bounced into the room to greet his great aunt and uncle first before going to see the other relatives.

Ignotus smiled down at him when Harry finally got to his great grandfather after greeting several of the other relatives. "How have you been, Harry?"

"I've been well, how about you?"

"I'm a portrait, Harry, I'm exactly the same as I was the day I was painted. But thank you for asking. What brings you to my portrait today?"

Harry blushed a little bit then shook his head. "Besides the fact that I did just want to see you, I've been finding bones whenever I'm digging in classes like Herbology or Care. I would have thought it was weird but I kept passing out and reliving the night my parents died whenever the dementors were around, so it wasn't really a priority."

Ignotus gaped at Harry for a while, shocked. Finally, he shook himself, muttering something under his breath that Harry didn't catch. "Firstly, the bones, because they are much less complicated than the dementors. You're drawn to Death, and Death is drawn to you. Since you are a natural Necromancer, and even more because you have my Invisibility Cloak, you are safer than most who are drawn to Death and vice versa. Those who are drawn to Death often become Necromancers, but because they do not have the natural safeguards that you have, and they don't make their own, whether because of lack of knowledge or sheer idiocy, the creations they make are barbaric and terrifying. Finding bones is just one more facet that you will have to deal with. Death makes for good fertilizer, because without death, one cannot have life, so bones are often found around magical plants. Other people occasionally find bones around plants, but it's not very often. You will find them more often."

He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "As for the dementors, they are one of those foul creations I mentioned earlier. The man who created them was named Ekrizdis, or at least we assume he created them. His fortress, Azkaban, and the dementors within were only found after his death. Every Potter will have a bad reaction to the dementors, but the Necromancers in the family will have a much more potent reaction, such as passing out and reliving the worst moment in your life instead of just faintly remembering like most people, or just fainting like most Potters. You will always have a bad reaction to non-natural Necromantic magic because of the... shape of your magic." Ignotus thought for a moment. "Shape isn't the right word, magic doesn't have a shape, but it's the closest I can think of without going into spiraling thoughts of theory far beyond your education at the moment. Non-Necromantic magic is a completely different shape than Necromantic magic, so they don't try to fit together at all. That's why you're connected to Death but you can still cast healing spells with the right training. Non-natural Necromantic magic, however, is almost the same shape as natural Necromantic magic, so they will naturally gravitate to each other and try to fit together. However, since it's not quite a right fit, it chafes, and leaves marks, and your magic doesn't know how to fix those without removing you from the situation, so it makes you have horrible reactions so that you will get away more quickly."

Harry nodded thoughtfully. "That makes sense. Thank you grandfather."

Sirius' voice came from the front of the vault then. "Come on, Pup! Time to go!"

"Goodbye grandfather," Harry called as he turned to go.

"I'll see you soon, Harry. Good luck, and stay away from dementors."

Harry just flashed one last grin at Ignotus and hurried over to Sirius, who gripped his shoulder for a moment before turning to get on the cart.

****************

A few days later, Harry was sitting at breakfast with Sirius and Remus, while Regulus was still in bed. Sirius picked up the last dish and motioned for Harry to help with the dishes. Harry settled in to dry, since Sirius had already started washing.

"Your aunt Rhea suggested we go visit your parents graves," Sirius said after a few moments. "Is that something you'd like to do? I know we haven't gone so far, because we were getting settled with each other, and then last summer, but if you want to go we can. And if you don't want to go yet that's fine too." Sirius abruptly cut off. "Sorry. I got a little rambly there."

Harry smiled slightly. "It's ok." He was silent for a moment, then he said, "I think. I think I want to see them. Can. Can we bring Remus?"

"Of course we can, Pup," Sirius said with a soft smile. "Let's get these dishes done and then head over, ok?"

A few minutes later they were ready to leave, so Sirius led them out the front doors and grabbed Harry to Apparate. "See you in a minute, Moony," Sirius said, smiling a little. Moony smiled back and Apparated away, quickly followed by Sirius and Harry. A tight squeezing sensation brought them to the entrance of a cemetery, and Sirius began walking into the graveyard. Not too far in was a simple stone saying:

In Loving Memory

Of

James Potter & Lily Potter

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Harry found himself sinking to the ground and crying softly for the parents he never knew. He barely noticed Sirius and Remus backing away slightly to give him some privacy.

He sat there for a while, not saying anything and just crying out all the pain he'd felt since he'd been dropped on the Dursley's doorstep twelve years ago. After what felt like both years and only seconds, his tears slowed, and a few minutes after that he felt a hand land gently on his shoulder.

"It's ok, Cub, let it out," Remus said softly. Harry just let out a sob and clung to Remus tightly. Remus held on just as firmly. After a moment, Sirius joined their group hug, and they just clung to each other for several minutes as they mourned two lives that had been so vibrant, so bright, but had been snuffed out far too quickly, leaving behind their infant son.

Sirius slowly began drawing away, still touching Harry as he conjured up some lilies and carnations, handing one of each flower to Remus and keeping two for himself while handing the rest to Harry.

"These were their favorite flowers," Sirius said softly at Harry's curious look. "Lily adored the flowers she was named after, and Jamie's mother, who died when he was quite young, had always been fond of carnations. I haven't had a chance to visit, but I swore I would leave some lilies and carnations for them when I did."

Harry looked down at the bouquet and gave a tearful smile. "Thanks, Padfoot," he whispered. He knelt and carefully laid the bouquet in the middle of the gravestone, while Remus and Sirius each laid their flowers on either side.

They sat there for another minute before Harry turned to Sirius. "I'm ready to go."

"Of course, Pup. We can Apparate from here, if you want." Harry just nodded and they stood, Sirius wrapping his arms around the teens shoulders in a hug that Harry returned as he turned sharply on his heel and Disapparated.