Putting a name to a face

Harry paid some attention to the thestrals when they got to the carriages, but he couldn't spend too much time with them. They quickly reached the front doors of Hogwarts and he gave a quick pat to their thestral, who gently shoved its head into his chest, much to Harry's joy.

The friends quickly agreed to meet up for a few minutes after the Sorting, then headed to their separate tables. Harry chatted with Draco, Blaise, and Theo, with the girls in their year throwing in the occasional comment as well. Crabbe and Goyle were as silent as usual. The new first years finally filtered in following Professor McGonagall. The Sorting Hat sat on its usual stool, waiting for the new students to group in front of it. It then began to sing.

Long ago, four aspiring friends

Sought to give wizard kind a safe place

For the skills that so few could learn.

Helga Hufflepuff, fierce and protective,

Valued honesty and hard work,

Loyalty and trust.

Rowena Ravenclaw, brilliant as can be,

Riddled the mind with puzzles

To make you think or laugh with glee.

Godric Gryffindor, a brave and mighty man

No battle too unwieldy for friends

In need across the land.

Salazar Slytherin, with cunning and drive

His silver tongue could bring

The best to survive and succeed

Now it is time for me to decide,

Where will you go?

To Helga, Rowena, Godric, or Sally?

Put me on, do not fear,

I'll put you where you

Most need to be.

After it finished, the new first years were quickly sorted, with Ginny going to Gryffindor with Ron and Luna going to Ravenclaw with Hermione. He noticed a few other names. A Colin Creevey went to Gryffindor. Harry saw the twins start talking to him and vaguely hoped they weren't telling the poor kid horror stories. Hailey Dorin went to Ravenclaw with Luna, a Timothy Higgins came to Slytherin and he made sure to give him a small smile, barely noticeable to any other House. Dylan Jackson ended up in Hufflepuff, and he saw Ernie MacMillan ruffle his hair. Laura Kinsley was another Gryffindor, and he saw Ginny grin. He realized she was going to have a lot of friends. Good. Valorie Moore went to Gryffindor as well and she sat next to Laura with a sigh of relief. Carter Smith took a while but he eventually went to Hufflepuff. Harry wondered if he was related to Zachariah Smith.

Finally, the Feast ended and Les Amis met up for a few minutes. Ron was laughing uncontrollably.

"What happened Bonfire?" Draco asked.

"Th-the twins," Ron gasped. He breathed heavily for a few moments, then took a deep breath and started again. "Colin Creevey, one of the new firsties, was talking to the twins, and they were telling him about You-Know-Who, and they mentioned his real name-"

Harry coughed, "Probably still a fake name. Can you imagine growing up with a name like that? No wonder he went evil."

Draco snorted, then burst into laughter. "K-keep going, Ron."