Fight for your name

Ron grimaced as he thought back to the plan. It would definitely work, if there was one thing Slytherins were definitely good at, it was making plans. The problem wasn't that it might not work, it was what the plan entailed. The things Draco would have to say, and act like he meant.... Ron hated them. But he could live with it, because it would make life safer for all of them if Draco was no longer visibly talking to them.

Speaking of the plan, it was time. Ron carefully fell in with Harry and Draco as they began their trek to Potions. He didn't want to get int the way of the fireworks, but they had decided that now would be the best time, because the Malfoys and the Weasleys were famous for not getting along, so if a fight were to happen that would break apart the whole group, they couldn't do it with say, Neville.

"So, Harry," Draco started. "How is dear Sirius? Still putting up with Lupin?"

"What do you mean 'putting up with', Draco? There's no 'putting up with' on either end. I've told you their dating," Harry said, perfectly confused. Ron was impressed. For a script that had basically been written the night before, Harry was acting perfectly.

"I know you said they were dating, but I was really hoping that was just a bit of an exaggeration. Nothing against Professor Lupin, mostly, but a pureblood like Sirius Black really could do better than someone like our previous professor." Draco was dancing around giving actual offence, but Ron supposed that was better. If he had been the one who had to break it off with his friends, he wouldn't be able to do it like this. He'd be too straight forward and that might make it too obvious.

"What exactly are you implying?" Harry asked, stopping completely and turning to face Draco head on. This was why they had picked Potions on this particular day, because they had a free period before and could leave early enough to not be late if the "argument" went too long.

"Harry, I'm implying nothing at all. My mother had just written about a lovely pureblood woman she had met recently that she thought Sirius would like, is all." Draco stopped as well, and turned to face Harry, confusion written all over his face.

"Sirius and Remus have been dating since their Hogwarts days. Your mother was there while they were. She should know better than to set Siri up with anyone, he's dead set on Remus."

Draco sniffed pompously. "Well, if he wants to shack up with a halfbreed like that it's his own fault. If Remus was completely human it'd be one thing, but he's not, is he?"

Harry gaped, looking so offended that Ron wouldn't have known it was a ruse if he hadn't been let in on it. Now was his turn. A Slytherin would never be so crass as to start a fight, but a Gryffindor? This was right up Ron's alley.

"You take that back!" he snapped, stepping forward to stand beside Harry facing Draco. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with Remus and you know it!"

"Of course you would think that," Draco said condescendingly. Ron bristled. If he forgot they were friends, then this acting thing was really quite easy. Malfoy was a git, and deserved to be told so. Multiple times, and multiple ways, if the first way wouldn't do it.

Ron drew his wand first, as had been planned, and sent off a relatively harmless jinx. He didn't want to actually hurt the prat, since Draco was still their friend, just not in the open anymore. It was just a light stinging hex to make him yelp a little. And yelp he did, and turn his wand on Ron too, to make it even better.

Once Draco had fired a Tripping jinx at Ron, Harry retaliated with a Sticking charm on Draco's shoes, so that when he tried to take a step he tripped as well. Draco scowled at him and sent a stinging hex at him as well.

After a few more stinging hexes, Harry and Ron were walking on one side of the hallway, while Draco conspicuously walked on the other side. They had timed it perfectly. People had started to exit their classes just as Harry and Draco had really begun sniping at each other, so the news would be around Hogwarts by dinner. Harry and Draco were no longer speaking, and Ron had sided with Harry.