Chapter 24

^Joann's POV^

I wake up in a cold sweat, heart racing. I had relived Circe's death in my dream, the pleading look in her eyes as she asked for me to see the world for her and to protect Ace. She really cared for him. I think to myself. I feel my back touch the base of the tree I had fallen asleep on last night. What surprised me was the warmth next to me and notice I was leaning onto Lucifer. He seemed to still be asleep thankfully. I lift my head off his shoulder and look around to see Ace laying on the ground in his jaguar form in front of us, as if to protect us. I smile to myself, feeling grateful to have these two people in my life. Although Ace has a lot to explain to me, he's been by my side for a long time. I just wish he had told me his true identity. And Lucifer... I know he still has secrets he's keeping from me as well, but at this point I don't think I can doubt him. He's helped me too much at this point to think he could ever hurt me. I think as I slowly stand up and stretch.

I look around the area one more time, but freeze when I hear the sound of a twig snapping. I turn my head to the sound and was about to relax thinking it was just an animal when the sound of footsteps running away made me panic. What if it's people hunting us down again. It sounded like only one person who's discovered us and I can't let them alert others. Deciding there and then, I run after whoever it was until I hear a splash of water. I run through the bushes and stop immediately so as to not fall into the lake that stood in front of me. I looked around confused, wondering where the person who was watching us went until a voice spoke up.

"I-I'm sorry for watching! I was just curious." I hear the voice of a small child and turn my head back to the water, seeing a little girl pop from the water. She must have dove into the water, that's probably where the sound came from. How was she able to stay under water for that long though? I thought to myself before I gasped in shock when an older woman rose from the water.

"Nemea, what have I told -" she stops herself when she notices me and I watch her face pale with fear. "I- You- You haven't seen anything. If you tell anyone of this location, I will kill you myself." the woman says grabbing and holding the young girl behind her.

"No, I- I won't. I'm not here to harm anyone. I just noticed someone was watching my friends and I and needed to investigate. I promise I won't tell anyone about this place." I say with my hands raised, showing that I was of no harm. The woman glared at me for a few seconds and sighed, accepting my response.

"Nemea, let this be a lesson on staying in the water and not going onto land. You're lucky this person seems to be decent enough. However girl, if word gets out somehow I swear that you will not breathe for long." The woman says before turning away. I watch as the two dive back into the water, a light splash of water hits me from their tails. Tails... Wait, tails! They're Naiads. I didn't think I would ever be able to see them. They were told to have disappeared a long time ago. To think they are actually in hiding. What unique creatures. If I remember correctly they disappeared due to the fact poacher's were often hunting them. It was said that their tears could heal any wound or sickness and could be used as an antidote for any poison. They were also known to be captured for entertainment purposes since they had lovely voices. I think to myself as I turn away and make my way back to camp. As I return, I notice Lucifer and Ace waking up, rubbing their eyes and stretching.

"Well good morning there you two. We should eat and get going. Without our horses this trip will only drag on if we don't keep walking." I say. They agree and we take some preserved food from our bags and eat quickly.

Once we finished eating and drank some water, we packed our stuff back up and got ready to continue the journey. Lucifer told us the estimated time it will take from here to the Naphal Empire could take up to three days so we would need to take as little breaks as possible.