Chapter 6

^Lucifer's POV^

Once I'm in the kitchen I start making us some turkey sandwiches thinking of how I am going to be "honest" with her. I could tell her half of the truth, probably be easier that way and it'd make it seem actually believable then. I just have to make her believe I'm a guy who wants vengeance on the empress for "killing" my father. This shouldn't be too difficult. The girl is gullible enough to trust me as it is. Just feed her a sob story and she'll fall for it with no problem.

I nod to myself, putting the bread and other ingredients away. Walking into the living room, I give Joann her sandwich and sit next to her on the couch lazily.

"So how should I start this? Do you want me to just answer your questions or try and tell the whole story?", I ask which leads to her holding one finger out as she was taking a bite out of her sandwich. Swallowing, she puts her sandwich down and turns to me.

"Tell me the whole story first and then I'll ask questions, it's easier that way so we don't miss any details.", Joann says and gives me a determined look. I nod my head and sink into the couch even more. Time to tell this bullshit of a story, hopefully she's stupid enough to believe it.

"Well you see, my family's history is a bit different from others. So I guess I'll start on that then. You see my father- he was a brilliant man, but was too ambitious for someone so low in the pyramid. He told me most of the stories and the rest of the details were told by my mother. One day while he was hunting, he spotted an elk in an open field. When he had steadied his bow and was about to let his arrow fly, the elk had already fallen over dead. At the sight of what happened, he unhinged his arrow from his bow and slowly walked towards the now dead elk in confusion. When suddenly, a hooded figure appeared and looked like they were skipping towards the dead mammal. He crept towards the person in curiosity trying to stay unnoticed. He accidently stepped on a branch when he was making his way towards them. The hooded person instantly stiffened and turned towards my father. The person already having another arrow notched into their own bow, aimed at him. My father raised his arms up in surrender to show he was no harm. When he took a step back in surprise, he tripped and fell on his hind ironically.

The person giggled and their hood fell down to reveal a mysterious woman with black hair and delicate featured face, she almost looked like a china doll from how frail she was. There was only one thing different about her that stopped him from thinking she was innocent. She had... horns. Turns out the woman was part of the Naphal Country. During this time, the war between our two countries was not a thing yet and there was still peace. My father couldn't believe it though and was shocked since our two counties barely interacted with each other since most of the time we disagreed. The woman stood in front of the man and held her hand out to help him up. He of course took her hand cautiously, slightly worried how this encounter would end. But unlike his beliefs, he had nothing to be worried about. The woman smiled at him and shook his hand as an introduction.

She introduced herself as Li- Lilola, a mere servant in the empress's castle who was just hunting for fun. After my father and Lilola introduced themselves they talked about the elk and how they should split it. They wondered if they should cook it there and eat it. In the end, they decided they would do just that and assigned each other a job. Lilola was to gather firewood while my dad would gut the elk. By the time they finished cooking the sun was starting to set. They ate their food and talked to each other for hours after that about their lives and their countries. They laid in that field looking up at the stars and from what my father said- before that night, he had never felt so alive. But of course their meeting had to end since both of them had their own responsibilities. Before the two left though, they both agreed to meet there again. After that my father decided to make this house close to where they met so that no one would question why he went into the woods daily carrying blankets and other things, only to return back into town at dark.