Chapter 1

Joann's POV

Present day, Age 17

I feel light hitting the back of my eyelids, and groan to myself as my eyes start fluttering open. All my senses start to wake up and I can hear the birds chirping as I feel the cool morning air hit the parts of my skin that weren't covered by my covers. I stretch my arms out, raising them up and then letting them fall. I rub my eyes a bit then sigh, already not wanting to leave bed. Time to get up now I guess, at least I didn't have another nightmare.

I try rolling out of my bed, when I notice a weight shift off my legs and a loud cat sound, ending with a slight thud sound on the floor. I turn my body a bit to see my black cat, Pluto, shaking his cute furry head. I chuckle and get out of bed and try to pet his head. Instead of allowing me, he turns his head away and begins walking away sulkily as if he were hurt. Such an overdramatic cat, you'd think he was secretly human from how much emotion he shows with his cute furry face.

"Come on Pluto, I'm sorry I forgot you were sleeping on me last night. Here kitty, kitty, let me pet you to show you I didn't mean it." I say trying to get his attention. He just continues walking out of the room ignoring me. Well damn could at least be a little grateful to the owner who saved you once upon a time.

God if anyone were here, they would think I am crazy for talking to a cat. Oh wait, I honestly might be. That's what happens when you have little to no social interaction with others. But I mean come on, Pluto has so much personality with his sass. I roll my eyes trying to hold in my laughter of the image of my cat sulking and regain my composure after a minute. As I walk around my room I feel myself shiver, realizing that it was a little chillier in the house this morning than usual. Maybe I should just take one of my small fuzzy blankets and wrap it around myself. Agreeing to the idea I grab one off my bed, finally ready to start the morning now.

I begin taking a couple steps out of my stuffy cold room and into the hallway. My stomach rumbles and growls to itself so I walk towards the kitchen, but suddenly stop. The sound of creaking wood of the floorboards reaches my ears, letting me know someone was here. My blood freezes and I don't make a sound, holding my breath. I instantly go into fight or flight mode, knowing someone else is in the house other than me and the cat and more than likely it's an intruder. I need to act now, hope all that training with Alex wasn't for nothing. I drop the blanket and tiptoe to the kitchen to grab a weapon. I would go to my room to grab my sword, but the kitchen is closer at this point. Making little to no noise by avoiding the floorboards I knew that squeaked, I enter the kitchen. Whoever it is, they are not supposed to be here. I need to be on high alert or who knows what will happen. I open one of the knife drawers.

I start reaching out for one of my sharper knives when I feel a hand on my shoulder. Instinctively, I swing my leg around and kick, hitting their gut. I then grab the wrist of the person, twisting it and surprising the attacker. I move the attacker's arm so that now I am holding their twisted arm behind their back, making it hard for them to move unless they want to feel pain and break it.

"Ouch, ouch! It's me Joann, it's Andrew!", I stay in position, processing what has and is happening. I recognize that voice from anywhere. Sighing and shaking my head, I let go and take a few steps back, rubbing my temples.

"Holy shit Andrew, warning next time or you might actually lose a limb. What are you even doing here so early, don't you have some stupid prince duties to do?", I say. Seriously it's like seven in the morning, why is he interrupting my morning time? I swear if this is over his parents marriage arrangement offer, I will deck him. He rubs his wrist, pouting like a little child. God he can be such a kid at times, act your damn age.