|4|

Shadows Behind Me
|4|

»— ⊷ ☩ ⊶ —«

I watched the fire calmly flickering in Miss Sophia's fireplace between two small cherubim angel statue.

Miss Sophia's eyes searched mine as I returned her gaze, she asked "So, the shadows... do you still see them?"

"For now? no." I shook my head.

Above the folder, her eyes glistened from behind her reading glasses as if she had just found something I had hidden. She placed the folder on the desk with both hands. "Doctor Henry was supposed to look after you, but he just left the academy last night for his important family matters back in his hometown. He told me I'll look after you in his replacement if that's good with you?"

I gave my head a nod. "It's okay."

Then a form of smile spread across her face, a sweet smile but yet, deceiving from the way she looked at me. "Well, I'm delighted to help you, and whenever you need someone's professional help, just let me know, alright?"

I smiled a little bit and nodded once more. I took a quick glance around the room, which was surrounded by tall bookcases and had a lavish crimson carpet in the doorway. "Back to your condition, when was the last time you had an episode?" Miss Sophia asked as she looked down at my mental health record file.

"Just last month, I think."

She looked straight up at me and asked "The fire incident?" Yes, that episode in which I was falsely accused of a crime. "Sorry, do you recall what happened?" She added.

As I struggled to find my words, I frowned and nervously scratched my thighs with my thumbs. Miss Sophia smiled apologetically as she waved me off, saying "I'm sorry, I didn't mean forcing you to remember, it's not my intention and I know you were traumatized by that event."

I knitted my brows and let out a weak chuckle, "Actually, I just don't remember anything. I'm sorry." I shook my head slightly, but that doesn't mean I didn't do something bad, something unforgivable that I hurt people without knowing, a reason why I'm here in the first place.

She pursed her lips, placed her elbows over the desk and rested her chin on her intertwined hands "It's okay my dear.... do you still take your medications?"

I gave a false smile and nodded, "Yes."

"Good. We can start now."

She leaned back in her chair and placed a glass of freshly poured water in front of me along with a little cup contained one pill from her drawer. "Take one pill for today and then— tomorrow, let's start for two pills a day." She said as she didn't buy my response.

I took a moment to stare at it— after all, it had been quite some time since I had last taken one of those. Why would I take those again? But I suppose I don't have much of a choice, do I? I sucked in a deep breath, took the small cup and the glass of water while miss Sophia watching me.

I tilted my head upward, let the pill fall on my tongue, and drank half a glass of water while tasting the bitterness of the medicine. When I was done, I put the small cup and glass down and looked back at Miss Sophia. She gave me a quick sweet beam and I returned it with my force little-uncomfortable-smile.