|21|

Crime And Punishment
|21|

»— ⊷ ☩ ⊶ —«

A bright light flashed across my vision as I opened my eyes, making me wince. I blinked a few times until my vision enhanced and I noticed siren lights flashing outside the window. I turned to my side and realized I was now lying on a bed, a hospital bed, and then I saw my mom standing in the doorway talking to two police officers. My dad had just arrived, and he was looking shocked and frustrated as he listened to their conversation.

When I called out "Mom." my mother turned to face me with a little frown on her face.

One of the policemen held up their note and said, "Ma'am, can we talk to your daughter for a moment?"

My father was looking at me in distress and disappointment. Of course, we hadn't been close in a while because he was too busy working nonstop for the sake of the family, but now that he saw that his daughter was in trouble again, this time with siren lights flashing over the side of her face. My dad was frantically wondering, still in disbelief, and questioned, "What did she do, now?"

My mom admonished him, giving him a warning look, "Don't ask in that way," and then she looked back at the policemen, pleading, "May I speak to my daughter first?" They just nodded at my concerned mother.

My mom entered the room, she set the door open in three inches, before she approached me. I sat up, perplexed, my head ached, and I couldn't recall anything. "What happened? Why, why am I here?"

"How are you feeling?"

"I, I don't know." I was still processing last night's party. The hangover was still affecting me, but the environment in this hospital made me feel awake in confusion and stopped my dizziness. What am I doing here?

"It happened again, my dear."

"What happened?"

"You don't remember anything?"

This is what I'm afraid of, something happened without my consciousness, and to make it worse, I was also drunk this time. As I tried to recollect a memory, my brows knitted, and the edge of my eyes began to damped. I remember the fire, fainting and passing out on the floor as people were escaping, and lastly hearing someone's scream in pain, that sounded like Jerry.

"Wait, where is Mia?"

Mom averted her gaze, chewed her lip with a deep frown on her face, she shook her head, "She's in the other room."

"Is she okay?" I asked, surprised that my best friend was also in the hospital. No, she cannot be hurt by the fire, I hope she's doing okay.

"She's badly hurt, dear." That was all my mother could say, but her eyes seemed to want to say more, say about what I did, what I deserved to hear, so me, her daughter, is aware that she's now dangerous due to the fact that there was a two police officers stood outside the room.

I covered my mouth, my heart halted for a beat, I didn't want this, I didn't want to hurt her in this way. Oh, does she hate me now? I was about to get up when my mother stopped me by raising her hand and predicting my reaction. "You can't see her, I'm afraid."

"I swear, Mom, I have no idea what's going on with me."

"Did you have an episode today, didn't you?" Mom searched my eyes, looking for answers.