|12|

A New Ability
|12|

»— ⊷ ☩ ⊶ —«

The hair on my neck lifted as I heard ghostly whispering behind my left ear. I looked out the window and saw shadows forming around a tree, and a lamp on the teacher's desk flickered.

"Miss (y/n), are you still with us?" Mister George and the other students in front of me turned their heads to look at me. 

I blinked, looked at Mister George, and nodded, my head suddenly aching so much that I had to massage my temple. "Yes, sorry."

"If you're not feeling well, dear, you may go to the infirmary."

"Okay, thank you Mister George." I stood up and headed outside the room.

Alone, at the hallway which was empty until I realized that the infirmary is abandoned by the nurse. However, what more I realized as I sensed something behind my back, so I looked over my shoulder,— I saw a tons of shadows slithering on the floor from the wall. "No." I was distressed and perplexed.

I quickly walked down the stairs, my surroundings becoming dark and dull, and when I turned my head and looked at the last step—the floor had turned into a cliff with a somewhat 90-foot ground as a floor no longer exists but only lava and rocks, it looked like hell, with red fire sparks flowing in the air.

My boot slipped on a broken concrete step, and I fell over. I reacted quickly, grabbing a crusty concrete ground with one hand, but my body became heavier and heavier as I panicked and tried to lift myself up.

I was just hanging there, with a home of hell from under my feet, confused and terrified, my heart racing in terror, my palm stinging from the crusty crushed concrete I was clutching.

I averted my gaze away from the ground to maintain my balance and my grip on the broken ground.

But wait, this isn't real.

This is just a dream
Another nightmare.

I finally raised my other hand to support my weight by holding the broken ground, I blinked so hard, hoping to wake up but couldn't, it was too difficult.

I heard eerie noises from the shadows and quickly looked up to see them emerging from the upstairs, moving towards me— my heart beat rapidly and my breath became heavy as my fingertips slipped a little. "Shit, no no."

The shadows had moved closer to me, transforming into a human figure of the same shape as me, and I closed my eyes as it moved towards me, but strangely, I felt my body lifting when I heard a single sharp flap of wings, and then I began to breathe normally as it caught me.

I gasped as I opened my eyes.

I've returned to my dorm, and the lightbulb above me flickered. I sat up, my temple damp from another nightmare dream.

I swear, it's starting to feel like— I'm in danger, and dreaming about that situation has to be something, like a message?

As I buried my face in my pillow, I groaned loudly.

***

After Mister Colin's class, forgot to mention that he was the headmaster of Sword & Cross Academy by the way. So, before lunch, I made my way to the next building, the sky above me is bronze and hazy, with brown and orange ish clouds, and yet this academy, this place never let us have normal weather, only cold breezes like dead souls skimming around this old grey castle.