A Birthday Wish | 11

"And the day will end for some as the night begins for one."

- Wild Eyes Boy From Freecloud | David Bowie

Same Day | 15:08 pm
12 Grimmauld Place, London

Percy sat at the head of the table with everyone surrounding him, singing Happy Birthday, very badly might I add but in that moment Percy was the happiest he had been in a long time.

Molly, with a motherly smile, placed a homemade birthday cake in front of him on the table. It was decorated with blue icing with waves on the side, on the face there were the words sloppy words Happy Birthday Percy! In white lettering surrounded by candles.

"I wrote that!" Harry said proudly with a grin, pointing at the white wording.

"Well go on, blow em out!" The twins both urged in unison.

"Wish to be in Gryffindor" I think it's safe to say that we all know who said that; Sirius.

"No! Hufflepuff!" Tonks inputted, sending her cousin a middle finger as though they were teenagers.

"Right, Slytherin, got it" Percy replied sarcastically with a smirk and then blew them out.

He didn't wish to be put in Slytherin however, or any house for that matter, he wished for the people around him in that very room to be safe in the war that he knew would soon come. He knew that kind of hope was foolish and naive of him, that a mere birthday wish couldn't stop what fate had in store for his newfound friends and family but still part of him wanted to believe that not all childish beliefs were driven by blissful ignorance, that it meant something. Though maybe that's what he needed, to be a child again, to have those ridiculous little things that made no sense, to live a few minutes of childhood obliviousness and not have to worry about the world outside of that room.

He was forced to grow up fast, even before he became a demigod, he learned how cruel the world was the moment Gabe Ugliano came into his life. That man although not his father, shouldn't of treated Percy with the disregard he had, a stepfather isn't supposed to be someone you fear, but someone you can trust.

A smile spread across the demigods face as everyone cheered once the last candle was blown out. Although only knowing these people for a few weeks at most, he felt like he truly belonged. He hadn't felt that feeling in what seemed like forever and after losing the ones he held closest to his heart he never thought he would find that kind of love ever again.

He felt slightly guilty for being happy when so many of the people he loved gave their lives for the greater good. Some of them never got to reach their 16th birthday but yet here he was, laughing and having fun, celebrating another year of his life. Another year that they never got.

Before the guilt could eat away at him any further, he shook the thought away, trying to convince himself that they would've wanted him to be happy and its true, they would have, but yet still a small ounce of guilt pulled at his heart.

"Please don't tell me you actually wished to be in Slytherin" a voice whined, pulling him away from his thoughts.

He looked over at his uncle with a smirk and shrugged innocently, "can't tell ya, otherwise it won't come true" he said.

***

It was safe to say that Percy's birthday had gone better than he'd expected. He truly believed he'd spend the day sulking around, missing the seven, missing his mother. Yes he did miss them, a lot, but he still had fun, he still got to celebrate even if not with his closest friends.

It was later that day, almost everyone had gone to bed. Percy however found himself in the sitting room, sat across from the fireplace with a cigarette held loosely between his fingers.

"Brilliant! You're alone, I was waiting for Molly to go to bed" a voice said, it was Sirius, he walked in the room with a grin, sitting himself on the armchair across from his nephew.

"Your last present!" He whipped out a rectangular wrapped box and handed it to Percy who raised a brow, having a feeling he knew what it was given by the shape and weight.

"Well go on then" Sirius urged him and so Percy began to peel away the paper, smirking slightly when it's revealed.

"Good stuff, strongest fire whiskey out there, some people get black out drunk from a singular shot, it's some mad stuff" the man said with a grin.

"Bet you 50 galleons I can speed run 5" Percy replied with a grin of his own.

"The responsible uncle in me is saying no but the Sirius in me is saying you're on" the grin on his face grew wider as he spoke and Percy began to laugh slightly as he watched his uncle fetch the shot glasses.

He was sure that they'd be in for a long night, yet a fun one, drunken nights always are... most of the time anyway.

It's the next day when it goes downhill and he was sure he was gonna have a killer headache when he woke up.

———

another chapter cuz i'm bored and happened to have time to update, it's quite short so i'll update again soon, maybe tomorrow 😁

i sorta proof read this so ur welcome for that

Word Count: 870

- M.L.B.