42. Hand

'Thank you Avalon,' Ned said when his girl arrived.

'OF course, MY lord.' Avalon said bowing her head before stepping out. But she couldn't help but stop and listen as Arya and Sansa begged to stay.

'I'm sending you two back to Winterfell." Ned told sansa and Arya.

"What!" Sansa declared furiously, "What about Joffrey?"

"Are you dying because of your leg?" Arya questioned.

"Please, father. Please don't." Sansa's voice wavered with panic.

"You can't! I've got my lessons with Syrio. I'm finally getting good."

"This isn't a punishment sisters." Ned assured them. "I want you back in Winterfell, for your own safety."

"Can we take Syrio back with us?"

"Who cares about your stupid dancing teacher? I can't go. I'm supposed to marry Prince Joffrey. I love him and I'm meant to be his Queen and have his babies."

"Seven hells." Ned muttered. "When you're old enough, I'll make you a match with someone who's worthy of you, someone who's brave and gentle and strong."

"I don't want someone brave and gentle and strong. I want him!" Sansa declared "He'll be the greatest king that ever was, a golden lion, and I'll give him sons with beautiful blonde hair." Sansa went on.

"The lion's not his sigil, idiot. He's a stag, like his father." Arya said matter of factly.

"No he's not. He's nothing like that drunk king." Sansa declared 'Avalon paints lions, all the lions, not stags anyways, lions are beautiful.'

"Come girls. Go pack." Ned told them and had Septa take them back to their chambers to pack.

+++++

'They butchered them as if they were animals they covered our children and pigs and let them on fire. They weren't thieves they didn't steal nothing they even left something behind your grace.'

'He is the king's hand you are addressing not the king' Pycelle said 'the king is hunting.' The man stepped forward dumping out a bag filled with fish.

'Fish... they sigil of house Tully.' Petyr noted. 'Isn't that your wife's house Tully?' Petyr knowing full well it was with a smug look on his face.

'These men were they flying a banner?'

'No you're... Hand. the Man leading them was taller than any man by at least a foot taller than any man I've ever met,' the man told Ned. 'the blacksmiths saw them take the head off the horse with a single swing of her sword.'

'That sounds like someone we know. The mountain.' Petyr clarified. Avalon sat back leaning against a column her sketchbook in her hand she loved drawing the throne. It was beautiful. She drew ned on the throne as he served as King substitute while Robert was out hunting. She looked to the throne and then Ned and back to her notes, sandor came up behind her, leaning on the column, his eyes drifting down to her sketch. She worked intently, her focus was amazing, she got drawn in and nothing could pull her focus. Sandor smiled down at her before hearing his brothers name escape Ned starks lips.

'You are describing ser Gregor Clegane.' Ned confirmed.

'Why would ser Gregor turn though he is an honored knight?' Pyselle said and Sandor scoffed.

'Honored.' He muttered and Avalon finally noticed him.

"Hi,' she said softly and he bent down kissing her she smiled up at him before returning to her sketch.

'I heard him called Tywin Lannister's mad dog.' Petyr told them 'I'm sure you have as well. Can you think of any reason the lannisters might be angry with your wife?'

'If the Lannister's were to order an attack under the kings protection it would be-' Pycelle said cautiously.

'It would be almost as brazen as attacking the hand of the king in the streets.' Petyr informed him.

'Well...' Pyselle said awkwardly, he was loyal to the Lannister above all else.

'I cannot give you back your homes or restore your livestock but perhaps I can give you justice in the name of our King Robert. Lord Berick Dondarrion. You should have the command send 100 men and ride to Ser Gregor Clegane.'

'Ha, ha the cunt.' Sandor remarked.

'As you command.' Beric agreed. Ned stood up cane in hand, taking shaky steps forward.

'In the name of Robert of the house Baratheon the first of his name king of the Andals and the first man lord of the seven kingdoms and the protector of the realm I charge you to bring the kings justice to the false knight Gregor Clegane and all those who shared his crimes. I denounce him I detained him I strip him of all ranks and titles of all lands and holdings and sentenced him to death,' Ned said confidently

'About damn time.' Sandor grumbled happily. but he had little faith in Beric, Gregor would evade capture as he always did because he was massive and terrifying. Gregor would slip through their fingers and he knew it.

'My Lord this is a drastic action.' Pycelle informed him, 'it would be better to wait for King Roberts return.'

'Send a raven the castlery rock, master pycelle, inform Tywin Lannister that he has been summoned to court to answer for the crimes of his Bannerman. He will arrive within the Fortnight or we branded an enemy of the crown and a traitor to the realm.' Ned informed them, he nodded to Beric and he was off.

'A bold move my lord and admirable.' Petyr said 'but is it wise to yank the lions tail he is the most powerful man in the seven kingdoms?' Petyr smirked 'Gold wins wars not soldiers' Petyr added

'Then how come Robert is King? And not Tywin Lannister?' Ned questioned.