44. Brother

'You damned fool.'

'There is paper and ink on the table' Robert said through labored breaths. 'write down what I say... in the name of Robert of the house of Baratheon first of his... You know how it goes fill in the damn titles... I hear by command Eddard of house stark titles, titles.' he moaned, 'as Lord Regent and protector of the realm upon my death to rule in my stead until my son Joffrey comes of age.' Instead of writing Joffrey though Ned wrote the rightful heir. 'Give it to me.' Robert requested ned handed it over to Robert and he signed his name at the bottom. Handing the ink back. 'Give it to the council after I'm dead.' Robert instructed 'at least they can say I did this right this one thing... you will rule now. You will hate it worse than I did but you'll do it well.' Robert choked out a breath 'Daenerys Targaryen, the girl you were right, the little finger, my brother, all worthless no one to tell me no but you. Only you.' Robert remarked. 'Let her live stop it if it is not too late.'

'I will.' Ned agreed.

'My son, help him Ned, make him better than me.'

'I... I will do everything I can to honor your memory.' Ned assured

++++

'Your grace!' Avalon called. Avalon hesitated before pulling the picture free. 'I know you care for your brother.' Avalon said cautiously. 'I thought...' she handed it over. Cerseis jaw dropped just slightly. 'I'm in love with a man that everyone thinks is a monster.' Avalon told her. 'I don't think we get to choose who we love.'

'He is my brother.' Cersei said stiffly but she clutched the picture to her chest.

'I will pray for his safe return, your grace.' Avalon said curtsying before her. Avalon turned to leave but Cersei snatched at her wrist.

"Whatever you think you know-'

'I know nothing.' Avalon told her. 'I just paint what I see.'

'what do you see?" Cersei questioned her eyes watered.

'A broken woman, trying to hold the weight of the world on her shoulders.' Avalon said honestly. 'a woman that needs the support of her family.'

'you tell-'

'my art is for my eyes and the muse behind it.' Avalon assured her, walking off. Avalon knew what she did was dangerous but she also saw so much pain in the queen's eyes. That pain seemed to fade just the slightest when she saw Jaime's face...

 That pain seemed to fade just the slightest when she saw Jaime's face