25. Secret Lab

Veronica puts some zombie cores in Brad's sweaty palm. These sturdier than diamond rocks melt slowly.

She comments, "Get a grip, Brad. You must survive. I need you to guard my back."

His pupils are still shifting from murky white to blue ones.

She makes sure the rope is intact before she leaves the room.

The others are resting in a bedroom. It's safer to stay in numbers.

Ross and Val have returned unharm.

Veronica asks, "What are you going to do next?"

"Return to base. The survivors desperately need these meds."

She nods her head. She couldn't leave Bras behind. That's why she doesn't follow them.

Ross seems to read her mind.

He offers, "Come to our base if you are done here. We will welcome you. And Brad."

"Thank you. Maybe I will."

Ross takes a pen and a sheet of paper from a desk nearby. He draws a simple map for her.

They rest for a night before leaving in the next morning.

Veronica looks at food supplies left behind on the desk. She smiles. Those kids are a bunch of kind hearted ones. It should last for a week. If she ate with measures.

They also leave some ammos, guns and few bamboo spears for her.

She vows to join them after Brad recovers. Can't leave Val behind.

As usual, she takes a bottle of water and spoon fed Brad. It has been few days, he hasn't eaten anything except two crushed biscuits soaked in water.

Veronica just finishes her task when a strong gust of wind blows in the bedroom.

It's odd because all the windows are closed.

"Nike..."

She is shocked. She looks at Brad. That's the first intelligent word he said after all these days.

"Why... I'm... Tied..."

"Are you a zombie?"

The man is still lying in bed. His body is soaked in sweats and dirts. His sharp gaze shows his usual old self.

She takes a knife and cuts the rope. He releases himself from the bind.

Veronica smiles and greets, "Welcome back, soldier."

"It's good to be back. Nike, where are the others?"

There were five of them when he got wounded.

"The others changed into them. Only you kept persevered until the end."

Brad sighs.

He laments, "It's an impossible mission from the start."

Veronica says, "Eat something first. You haven't eaten anything for days."

She leaves to find foods.

The Alpha guy sighs. She still treats him like a subordinate. After all they have gone through, he has hoped she sees him as a man.

Maybe it's his wishful thinking. Alpha and Alpha aren't a good match. Everyone knows it.

He eats slowly. His body feels numb. His muddle head mind is still unable to think. He feels as if this body doesn't belong to him anymore.

Sometimes there is an urge to bite.

Brad distracts himself by munching his expired biscuits. Foods are scarce. Don't waste them.