the neverending tunnel

July 3rd, 1985

After realizing that the elevator from hell that took us halfway to hell wasn't our biggest issue, we began walking. The hallway stretched out far enough that we could see the end. The small talk fizzled out about an hour ago, consisting of all our theories about what was at the end of the long tunnel. We'd been walking for almost two hours in silence when Dustin spoke up.

"I mean, you have to admit, as a feat of engineering alone, this is impressive."

"You should make sure to give the Russians your regards when we find them," I snarked before muttering under my breath so that no one could hear me. "If we don't walk ourselves to death first."

Dustin gave me a sarcastic smile before his attention was caught by Steve. "What are you talking about, dude? This is a total fire hazard. There are no stairs, no exit. Just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell." My thoughts exactly, Steve.

"They're commies. You don't pay people, they cut corners." Erica pointed out to the older boy.

"To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking," Robin stated as she looked around at the pipe-covered walls.

"God, I'd hope not. I'd almost feel bad for them if they had to walk this every day." I chuckled halfheartedly and Steve snickered at my remark.

"Think about it, they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo." Dustin nodded as he swung his arms up and down like a bird flapping its wings.

"It all comes into the mall like any old delivery." The younger boy added.

"Then they load it up on those trucks and-"

I cut Robin off, finishing her sentence. "Nobody's the wiser."

"You think they built this whole mall just so they could transport that green poison?" Steve asked in a cynical yet curious tone.

Dustin snorted at his question before speaking, "I very seriously doubt it's something as boring as poison. It's gotta be much more valuable, like promethium or something." Robin smiled fondly at Dustin's guess.

"What the hell's promethium?" Steve asked and Robin, Dustin, and Erica all turned to look at him with disappointed eyes.

"It's what Victor Stone's dad used to make Cyborg's bionic and cybernetic components," Robin said with a sigh.

"You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." She was dramatically holding her stomach as if she was about to hurl. I chose to let Erica's comment slide as if I didn't just see the disappointed glare she gave Steve when he didn't know what promethium was.

"No, no, no. Please don't lump me in with them. I'm not a nerd, alright?" He was quick to defend himself with an irritated tone.

"Why so sensitive, Harrington? Afraid of losing cool points to a ten-year-old child?" Robin teased.

"No, I'm just saying that I don't know jack shit about Prometheus." I couldn't help the snort that bubbled out of me at Steve's words. He turned his head and looked at me like a confused puppy.

"Steve, Prometheus is a Titan in Greek mythology and the god of fire." I chuckled and Dustin and Robin turned to me in shock and I shrugged before defending myself. "What? Greek mythology is interesting."

"And it's promethium, Steve, but whatever. All I'm saying is it's probably being used to make something." Dustin explained his theory and Robin nodded.

"Or power something." She added.

"Like a nuclear weapon." Dustin gave the idea and it seemed the most plausible of them all, surprisingly.

"Totally." I agreed.