watergate

March 26h, 1986

We waited for what felt like hours for the others to find us. We passed the time by figuring out a plan to spook Dustin and Max. Eddie told me about Dustin, and how he sees himself in the younger boy. 

"That kid is going places." He'd said. "I'm gonna pass the torch of Dungeon Master to him when I finally leave. He's got a wild mind and I think he'll be good at getting new people to join." 

I saw the same look in his eyes that I saw in Steve and Nancy's. Even in my own. He cares for these kids. "It's a shame you haven't gotten to meet Will. He'd love to be in it." I added.

"Dustin's mentioned him, and I think Henderson even called him up to help with the shirt design," Eddie mentioned, pulling at the bottom hem of his shirt to display the artwork. 

We talked for a bit more before hearing the tell-tale sign that they were approaching. 

"Steveeeeee..." Dustin screeched from somewhere in the trees. 

Moments later we heard Steve dragging as he came through the bushes. "Oh, boom! Bada bing, bada boom. There she is, Henderson. Skull Rock!" 

Dustin came through and looked positively bewildered as he stared at the rock. I stood up from underneath and walked out to greet my friends. "Don't rub it in, Popeye."

Steve shrugged. "I was right!" He said with a smile as he saw me before turning back to look at Dustin. "In your face man, in your stupid, cocky little face."

Dustin looked shocked as he stared at the rock with a slack jaw. "Doesn't make sense." 

"Yeah, yeah. Even with it staring you in the face, you just can't admit it. Can't admit that you're wrong, you little butthead." Steve had his hands on his hips, his signature pose when he was picking on one of his many kids. 

Eddie jumped off the wrong behind Dustin with a thud as his sneakers hit the damp earth. "I concur! You, Dustin Henderson, are a... total butthead." 

Relief flooded Dustin's features as he headed for Eddie, pulling him in for a friendly embrace. "Jesus! We thought you were a goner."

"Trust me, we thought so, too," I added as Steve came up to hug me. 

The others joined shortly after. Robin and Nance headed straight for me, pulling me into them. 

"We're so glad you're okay!" Nance mumbled into my shoulder.

"No kidding. I would've gone bonkers if I had to deal with Stevie by myself." Robin added with a smile as they pulled away. 

As soon as my arms were free, Max barreled into me. I pulled her in tighter as I hugged her. She pulled away a moment later and swatted my arm.

"Hey!"

"Don't scare me like that again!" She reprimanded before turning to face Eddie. "And you... you are an idiot." 

"What did I do?" He questioned. 

"Don't worry about it, man. She calls everyone an idiot." Lucas mumbled, but not quietly enough because Max turned and glared at him. 

Nancy handed us a bag with water and food and we immediately dived in. 

"So what happened?" She asked once we'd finished our snacking. 

"Jason, Patrick, and some other guy showed up. We tried to make a run for it and took the boat so we could make it across Lover's Lake. Jason saw us and started to swim. He'd almost caught up with us until Patrick..." I explained but couldn't continue.