the great escape

July 4th, 1985

Whatever they gave us was fast-acting. Before the 'doctor' injected me, I was scared and angry and a little dejected. But, now I feel on top of the world. It's like all my problems and worries floated away. They evaporated into the air of this weird room. I felt numb, but not the bad kind of numb. It was a good numb.

"Honestly, I don't really feel anything," Steve mumbled, his voice sounding like his mouth was numb.

"I... I feel fine. I feel normal." Robin sounded calm and at peace.

I snorted as I stretched my fingers out, sending a fuzzy buzzing feeling shutting through them. "I feel great. My fingers tingle, a little."

Steve chuckled, "Tingle, that's a funny word."

"Tingle tingle tingle-y." Robin sing-songed, causing us all to laugh.

"I kinda like it!" I breathlessly replied in between laughs.

"Yeah... I feel good." Steve leaned his head into mine.

"You guys wanna know a secret?" Robin asked in a faux sinister voice.

"Yeah!"

"Uh-huh." Steve and I nodded and she leaned her head back into ours.

"I like it too!" She announced with a chuckle, sending all three of us into another fit of laughter.

"Those morons! They messed the drugs!" Steve cheered.

"They messed it up!" Robin sing-songed again.

"Total morons!" I snorted in between my laughter, my ribs beginning to ache.

"Hey, morons!"

"Morons?!"

"Morons! Morons! Morons!"

We were all shouting at the tops of our lungs before we grew tired and had to catch our breath.

"There is definitely something wrong with us." Robin sighed.

"Somethings wrong." Steve curtly agreed, his smile audible.

We were beginning to laugh again before the door buzzer caught our attention. I took a sharp inhale and held it as all the men from earlier came back in, the general leading. The doctor walked over to the table of tools and unloaded his bag, taking out all the stereotypical torture tools you see in horror movies. Pliers, hedge clippers, a really big knife. The metal of his tolls was shiny and bright and kinda pretty. It was so clean, it could be a mirror!

"Would now be a good time to tell you I don't like doctors?" Robin asked in an innocent tone. I'd spaced out staring at the torture tools and she caught my attention. Turning my head around to see the general was standing in front of her. When'd he get over there?

The general ignored her comment and moved in front of Steve, getting straight to business. "Let's try this again, yes?"

I rolled my eyes so hard it made my head ache.

"Who do you work for?" His voice was coated in a fake sickly-sweet tone.

"Scoops." Steve snorted and I fought to hold mine back. "Scoops Ahoy."

I couldn't hold in anymore, a snort passed through followed by a full fit of chuckles. Robin snickered quietly, fighting to hold herself together.

"How did you find us?" The general's sweet tone was gone.

"Totally by accident." Steve chuckled, and Robin and I giggled at his completely honest answer.

The general said something in Russian to his men with a huff and I scoffed, suddenly feeling brave and without a filter.