dear beth

May 24th, 1986

I'd picked my nails to the quick. I chewed my lips until I tasted blood. And I've been bouncing my leg so much it was starting to cramp. But none of that mattered, not a single bit of it. Max was cursed and I wasn't with her. 

I should've fought harder. 

I should be with her, not sitting here on a drug dealer's couch while Eddie stares a hole into the side of my head. We haven't said a single word since Steve's car drove off. Eddie guided me back into the house and I took a seat on the couch, immediately starting to think a thousand thoughts at once. That was two-and-a-half hours ago. 

The walkie has gone off. Not a single word of how they are or what's happening. Nothing but the anxiety-filled silence that had me in a chokehold, slowly crushing my windpipe. I clenched my fists so tight that I could feel my nails cut into the skin of my palms. 

Eddie must've noticed because he quickly stood from his seat diagonal from me, coming to the couch and pulling my hands into his lap. "Princess, I know how you're feeling right now, but you can't keep hurting yourself." 

I tried to pull my hands back but his grip tightened. I snapped my head around to look at him and the look in his eyes made mine sting and heat up. Pure and unabashed worry. 

Of course, he's worried. He's like an older brother to Max and he loves her. 

"I'm sorry, Eddie." I choked out and he shook his head. 

"Sorry for what, princess?" 

I bowed my head between my shoulders, allowing my hair to create an auburn curtain around my face. "You're probably just as worried as I am and I've been so stuck in my own head that I didn't notice." 

His grip on my hands faltered for half a second before he let go, putting a hand on either side of my face as he forced me to look at him. "Stop. She's your sister, you have every right to be stuck in your head right now. And you're right, I am worried about her, but I'm also worried about you." 

My brows furrowed. "Worried about me? I'm not the falsely accused wanted man or the cursed fourteen-year-old." 

"Doesn't matter." His thumbs were rubbing comforting circles against my cheekbone. "You're the girl that loves both of those people." 

My eyes broke from his, not being able to bear the worried look in his eyes. 

"Beth, look at me." I obeyed and he rewarded me with a soft kiss. "I don't care about me being wanted. What I care about are you and Max. You are the love of my life and I would take being a falsely accused wanted man every day so long as it meant it wasn't you. And I am positive that Max feels the same way. We love you... I love you, Beth." 

And there it went, the first scalding hot tear rolled down my cheek. I couldn't say anything, my throat was too tight to speak so I just leaned forward and met our lips. The kiss was equal parts searing and soft before we broke apart and rested our foreheads together. "I love you, so much, Eddie." 

So much as I had gotten the words out, a soft whoosh was heard from the front door. We both looked over to see two small pieces of paper on the floor. Eddie hesitantly walked over, looking out the window as he did. He bent down to pick up the papers with furrowed brows. "It's two envelopes addressed to us." 

He brought them over, handing me the one that had my name scrawled out. I instantly recognized the handwriting as my sister's. I ripped the paper open, pulling out a letter as felt my stomach jump to my feet. Eddie sat down on the couch next to me as he opened his. I took a deep breath, holding it in for a moment too long.