reefer rick

March 21st - March 22nd, 1986

It's been almost a month since my birthday. The party became awkward after Eddie's unexpected arrival. Understandably so. Max had tried to get me to talk about it but I wouldn't budge, I wasn't going to talk about what happened or what he said until I'd talked to him first. In a way, I have to be grateful to him. 

He'd been avoiding me every chance he got. Wouldn't answer my calls, wouldn't answer the door when I stopped by his trailer, nothing. So, yeah, I am a little grateful seeing as I can't talk to him about what he said therefore I don't have to talk to Max about it. 

She's been struggling lately, the nightmares we shared after what happened to Billy have come back and I can tell it bothers her. No matter how much she tries to deny it. She's cut herself off from her friends and spending long hours locked in her room with her headphones on. 

Every time I've tried to talk to her she just shrugs and says she's okay, even though she's clearly not. I just don't know how to get her to open up to me, to trust that I'll help her with whatever she's going through. 

Not much I can do about it unless she chooses to let me help, so I might as well deal with the one thing that I can. I'm not going to let him avoid me this time so after work, I went to his trailer. He wasn't home yet but Wayne was, and he let me in before heading to work. Eddie had Hellfire tonight so he'd likely not be back until late. I waited and waited, the sun had gone down and it was fully dark outside. 

The loud skidding of tires and the blasts of metal music let me know that he was home so I quickly stood from the couch and faced the door. The time spent alone in his trailer had given me plenty of time to figure out what to say to him. 

Did you mean it? Why did you leave after saying it? Why have you been avoiding me? I love you, too, Eddie. 

I'd settled on 'Did you mean it?', figuring that I needed to know that most of all. I heard the doorknob rattle then it opened and I took a deep breath, preparing myself to see him. But the person that walked through the door hit my chest like a bowling ball, knocking the breath out of my lungs. 

Chrissy Cunningham?! 

I stared at the pretty blond in shock and confusion. Her eyes met mine almost immediately, and she had a similar expression to mine. I opened my mouth to say something but shut it just as quickly. Eddie stepped in a second later with his head bowed, sarcastically apologizing for the mess before he looked up and saw me. 

Whatever joke or line he had, died in his throat. He blinked, his jaw slack before speaking. "Beth? What are you doing here?" 

I looked between the two. It was an odd pair, to say the least. Chrissy, clad in her white and green cheer captain uniform. A light blue shade dusted over her lids, making her already blue eyes all the brighter. Her pristine blonde hair was tied up in a clean pony. Eddie, per usual, wearing the fitted and ripped black jeans with a chain dangling from his hip. His Hellfire shirt under his leather jacket and denim vest combo. His dark curls were frizzy and wild, matching the color of his eyes. 

"I-" I started, too caught up in what was happening right now. "I was just here to talk to you but you uhm- you seem busy, so I'm just gonna go." 

I didn't give him time to say anything before walking past them and out the door. Max was walking into the house I reached the porch steps, sparing one last glance at Eddie's trailer before seeing me. "I'm guessing you saw that?" I asked as we walked back inside. 

She looked at the window before looking back at me. "Chrissy going into Eddie's trailer? Yeah."

I nodded, pursing my lips and staring at the floor.