22 | Stoned

Victoria Tomlinson

V: Come pick me up.

I stared at my phone, watching the three little dots appear as I awaited Hazel's response.

I spent all day in my room since Zayn took me home. I hadn't left since my dad hit me. I didn't go down for lunch or for dinner even when I was called on for ten minutes straight by my mum. I didn't want to go down, I didn't even want to look at my dad after he hit me.

I couldn't remember the last time he did that. I knew his excuse would be that he was stressed and angry about what had happened at the dinner, he was angry at me for also raising my voice at him. When I was younger I would have accepted those excuses, but now I knew they were just bullshit ways to guilt trip me into forgiving him.

Hazel <3: I'll be ten minutes x

And that was why Hazel was my favourite person in the world. She didn't ask why or question anything, she was just always there for me, every time I needed her. I knew I could always rely on her.

It was almost midnight, and I knew my parents were asleep, they were both light sleepers so I knew Hazel would be parked almost outside the gates surrounding the estate. They'd kill me if they knew I was sneaking out, but they weren't gonna know.

I knew Zayn had stayed here tonight, he had his own room on the top floor, where he could stay if he was needed late at night or early in the morning. My dad had the expectation that he would just be around twenty-four seven, but I could just tell he preferred going home over staying here, and I really couldn't blame him.

His entire apartment was about the same size as my living room, but everything about his home was nicer. Mine felt like a prison. His apartment was much more homey.

I kissed Cujos head as a goodbye, he was snuggled up on my bed snoring away like he had been doing the past few hours we had just been lying there. When I slipped out of bed I put on a comfy pair of sliders with some sweatpants and a hoodie on top of the shirt I already had on. I looked rough but I had a feeling Hazel would be dressed similar if not the same.

The hallway was empty when I cracked my bedroom door open. The entire house was completely silent, everyone was asleep.

I quietly made my way to the staircase at the end of the long hallway, and tiptoed down the staircase, making sure to walk on the carpeted areas of the floor to be as silent as possible.

I didn't look like I was going out, I wasn't dressed up and I had no makeup on so if I were to get caught, I could always make up an excuse that I was going to the kitchen or somewhere else in the house, I didn't look suspicious.

On the centre table between the two grand staircases, there was one massive plant pot with massive, dried flowers as a decoration. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I shoved my hand into the plant pot and felt around until I felt my fingers brush against the set of spare keys I had hidden in there for myself.

I took them out and went over to the front door, unlocking it. I hated that the door had to be so big and heavy, the sound of it unlocking and opening echoed through the entire house.

I locked the door behind me, feeling the cold night air hit my cheeks. It was kind of a relief after locking myself away in my room for the entire day today.

I was quick to run down the cobblestone stairs and into the front garden. I avoided the lit-up fountain in the centre that was circled with the black cars that all the security used. I knew there were night security guards that lurked around the front garden, and even though it was my own house, and I should be able to do whatever I want, I'd get in trouble if I were caught.