69 | Diamonds

Zayn Malik

My eyes opened. I blinked a few times, something in my mind was telling me I had to be on high alert, there was something to be looking for, something to be scared of. My heart was racing in my chest like I had woken up from a nightmare, one I couldn't remember.

I took in a deep breath, which was cut off short when a burning and agonising pain shot through me when my chest moved, beginning at my lower stomach, the pain shot up through my chest and down my arms and legs. I felt the strain in my neck. Something was very wrong, but in the hazy state I was in, I couldn't figure out what it was, and I couldn't remember where I was or what had happened.

My mind was more awake than my body. I wanted to it up, to open my eyes and look around, to find Victoria to check she was okay and ask what the fuck was going on. But my body didn't want to do that. My eyes barely opened when I tried, and I could hardly move my body, nothing more than the twitch of my fingers. It was like I was still in a deep sleep but was awake at the same time.

After a little while, I eventually did manage to peel my eyes open. They were heavy, still not wanting to open at all, but I forced myself to.

I was in a bed. A bed I did not remember getting into and one I did not recognise. The room was dark, all of the lights were on and there was no light coming in from anywhere that seemed to be a window. I didn't know if I was in here alone, or if anyone else was here.

I squinted my eyes, blinking a few times to try and adjust to the darkness in the room so I could try to figure out what was going on. After another deep breath and focusing really hard for a while on my surroundings, I began to be able to make out shapes, the faint outlines of objects in the room.

I glanced beside me, only to be filled with disappointment and worry when I realised I was alone in the bed. It was a double bed so here was enough space for Victoria to be there, but she wasn't. Already I could feel the panic beginning to settle in, the worry of where she was or if she was okay.

But when I looked in the opposite direction, I could make out another bed, it was probably within reaching distance, I was beginning to realise how small this room was, wherever we were. And sleeping on top of the bed, was the pretty angel I had just been looking for.

Why wasn't she with me?

"Vic." I whispered, feeling that sharp pain spread through me again as soon as I had used my voice.

She was sound asleep it seemed. I still couldn't see very clearly but I could tell she was still.

"Baby." I was a little louder but didn't want to startle her. I wanted to go over to her, to run my palm along her skin, to wake her up softly with a soft touch and the sound of my voice. But my body wouldn't move. "Victoria."

Still, she didn't move, she didn't hear anything and continued to sleep. Part of me wanted to just let her rest, she was asleep and she was resting, she didn't seem to rest much anymore, she never really looked at peace.

"Vic," I said, trying to move again, only to be met with disappointment. "Angel."

This time, she seemed to be disturbed in her sleep. She drew in a long, deep breath. A breath that let me know she was waking up. I heard her shift, moving in her state of half sleep. Even in the darkness I could make out the way that her eyebrows twitched, right before her eyes fluttered open faintly.

"Victoria." I whispered, twitching my fingers, I wanted to reach for her.

She sat up like she had been struck by a bolt of electricity. In a matter of seconds, she was beside me, kneeling on the ground in the space between the two beds. A small lamp was flicked on at a bedside table that separated the two beds we were on, lighting the room up enough that I could see her pretty face.