three

I sat in my bed, awake, all night. I kept thinking of things. Ideas. Ways to rally the people. To get them to join the cause.

I grabbed as much paper as I could and sat down at my small desk, writing furiously as things came to me.

Before sunrise, I had seven papers filled with words, explaining each and every thought I had. I placed them into a small bag hanging on my bed frame and threw myself under the blankets.

If I had been caught awake at this hour, who knows what repercussions I'd serve? I closed my eyes for a second before my sister came bounding inside, throwing herself onto my bed.

I groaned and opened my eyes, looking at her smiling face.

"Mother says come eat breakfast."

"Constance, did you have to jump on me?"

"Yes. It was the only way," she smiled mischievously at me as I threw my blanket to the side.

I walked down the stairs and sat down next to Cécile. Mother sat in front of me as our single servant placed a plate of food in front of me.

"Mother," I said hesitantly. If I were to go out, she'd have to know. If I left unannounced she'd have my head.

The woman looked up at me and stared, waiting for me to speak.

"I'm going out to the town with a friend today," I said.

"Who?"

I inhaled sharply. She didn't like Marius much. She used to but since she discovered neither of us were interested in marrying the other, she made it clear she did not like him.

"Marius," I said quietly, taking a drink. She stared at me in disbelief.

"No," she said.

"Mother, I already told him I would."

"And I've told you you can't. He'll survive, Hyacinth. Besides, there's someone I want you to meet today," she smiled.

I nearly choked on my food and looked up at her silently, raising my eyebrows.

"I've found you a possible suitor, dear."

Cécile slammed her drink down on the table and looked over at me with wide eyes.

"Mother.." I said quietly.

"It's well past time, Hyacinth. The other girls your age have families."

"Mother, I haven't found someone for me."

"Well I have and you will meet him," she said firmly.

I sighed and pushed myself up, walking to my room. I made my way up the stairs and let my door slam behind me. I paused, looking at the bag which holds my precious plans.

Mother would kill me if she knew. She'd openly been against the rumors of those planning a revolution. How would she react if she knew I was one of them?

In a split second my eyes darted to the window. I rushed to get more ready, throwing a skirt over my corset, not bothering to put on the full dress.

I was still fully covered but my mother would throw a fit if she saw me like this.

I grabbed my small bag and made my way to the window, leaning out slightly. There was a roof to the side and if I could move myself toward it I'd be able to climb out. I threw my legs over as footsteps approached my room. I quickly climbed down onto the roof and slowly dropped onto the ground before taking off toward the town.

I looked back only when I was far enough and saw my mother in the window, looking around my room. I took a deep breath and continued walking at a quick pace.